Automotive does NOT have a floor plan layout yet - ideas are welcome

I think it was taken from an owners manual or a hayes manual then colorized.

EDIT: I just stumbled across it on autozone’s website so you might find some version there for your vehicle. https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Pontiac-Fiero-1984-1988-Repair-Guide/Jacking/Jacking-Precautions/_/P-0900c152801da7d8

I’d bet these kind of lifts are outside of our budget, but man I love the way they preserve open space:

4 Likes

They’re around $25K and I doubt the landlord would go for it.

2 Likes

Leave enough room for a dyno. I have no use for it, but would love to see some high hp toys come and do some runs!

1 Like

TLAR,

My understanding is you are asking for ideas about floor plan layout? This couldn’t be further from a flame out, but I don’t think a single response has been in regard to layout. Perhaps providing an editable document of some kind with just a blank floor plan that has the overall dimensions of the automotive area and a couple key reference dimensions like garage door entrance, general boundaries shaded by whoever is adjacent to automotive etc. and maybe even some ball park dimensions of equipment that is a “for sure” would yield some relevant results to your question. Just some kind of template so we can whip out our crayolas and draw in our dream garages. A lot of us aren’t super familiar with the details of the expansion… just a thought. Can’t wait!!

1 Like

I don’t think a dyno is possible with only a single door in a shared environment, the closest plausible solution would be a hub/axle dyno (instead of a large fixed chassis dyno its 2 moveable units that where you remove wheels of car and attach the dyno units), but the car using it would have to be blocking the only door with the exhaust sticking out. Not to mention a dyno is really only useful if you have the tuning software needed and know how to use it correctly.

This has some possible dimensions Auto Expansion Layout Ideas (Assuming a 40’x55’ area, which is different from the official proposal of 43’x44’, as a comparison the current auto area is roughly 30’x30’)

The large toolbox is 10’x2.5’, the shelving in auto right now is 2’x13’, the table in auto right now is 3’x6’

I’ve done a decent amount of MAP tuning and I bet Ferman has even better knowledge of it! Let’s make it happen!

Michael,

Automotive has Zero use use for a dyno.

You should inquire with the motorsports chairperson for that.

How do you change the front tire if you need to? Green points?

Pain to install, even more of a pain to remove.

~$140k range buys an AWD Dynapack good up to 2000hp, or a linked AWD Dynojet…

So motorsports will be funding a 100+mm turbo BB v8 project to utilize said dynapack? one can wish right?

lol
:blankspace::blankspace::blankspace:

I think an axle dino is an excellent idea. Of course I’d have a use for it but it would definitely broaden the appeal of the space for automotive guys. And everyone’s car is tunable with free software if you install a microsquirt or the cheaper speeduino.

My dad is shutting down his mechanics shop. A lot of equipment including a lift will be up for sale over the next month. I don’t know what the current plans are for the expansion.
Also he is clearing out a huge number of Miata parts tomorrow if the lemons people are interested.

4 Likes

What mechanic shop?

RJ
(2013 PRHT owner)

@tlar there are some truck guys active at the space…might I request a larger (weight and width) lift…to keep on topic please place it on the right.

Can we get an exhaust vent to put on the car exhaust? And air drops on both sides of the auto bays?

If you smart car drivers need a lift I have a 4x4 steel tube and a 2 ft crow bar…we should be good to go…alternatively There are a few of us that could lift it onto the tool cart, recommended a few posts back.

An exhaust venting system is all ready in the plan.

Air and electric drops are allready in the build out

1 Like

Thanks !

Do you have the brand & model of the lift? Age ?