Automotive Class offered

So, as a new member wanting to pay it forward a little, I submitted to teach a class on the website (a ‘How to’ for changing car brakes.) I’m probably not the most qualified to teach a class like this, but since I don’t see anyone else scheduling any classes in the Auto area, I figured I’d give it a shot, as there are people who are scared to do simple maintenance on their own cars and something like this is usually quick and easy.

There is very little information on what the process is after you click submit. I don’t see it on the calendar yet, and am just wondering what the process is from here? Will I get an email if and when someone approves it? Do I get notifications on when or whom may have signed up? I did leave both boxes checked for Meetup and Eventbrite as well. Do I get a link to those pages?

Anyone think that this is a good or bad topic for a class?

2 Likes

Unfortunately due to complex insurance concerns we cannot offer a class on automotive brakes at DMS

1 Like

Hrm… that sucks. What / where / how can I find these rules for myself so as to not randomly guess at what’s allowed?

1 Like

The general rule is that only ASE Certified technicians can teach automotive classes(anything mechanical on a vehicle). But I haven’t really looked into or clarified that since we have simply not had any auto classes.

1 Like

I’d guess that’d be a self fulfilling reason that there won’t be too many classes for cars then.
Certainly a bummer in general.

1 Like

Can we clarify those rules?
I had hopes of offering some auto-related classes to the space as well, but I’ve allowed my ASE to lapse. Does any of that change if the action takes place on a bench instead of a car?

3 Likes

What I don’t understand is why is this a requirement to have ASE certified instructors. It goes against the DMS way and makes no sense, as all DMS members are exempt from coverage in the auto area anyway. AKA your on your own if you screw up in auto hence the cant work on anyone else’s car rule. Why cant we offer auto classes to DMS members only and then we don’t have issues with insurance since they don’t cover us anyway?

2 Likes

Would have to talk with our insurance rep, the board did a lot of work to even allow auto to exist at all, so I have taken the don’t ask any questions and don’t rock the boat and just be grateful for what we can do now approach.

1 Like

Why don’t we have a recurring class on basic car maintenance, changing the oil and filter on your car. You bring your car in with the replacement oil and filter for your car and you replace it.

It adds value to the DMS membership since you could save a lot over what shops or dealerships charge for an oil and filter change. You learn basic maintenance that will make your car last much longer. And if you don’t know what oil and filter to get for your car, come to one of the sessions with your drivers manual and get a DMS member to help your figure out what you need to get and do it at the next session.

Eh, what’s that doc? Who says I cannot have a class on brakes?

What about steering? Suspension components? All rather lethal if the fail at speed.

Again, show me where this rule is located. Does it mean that I can’t get an honorarium, or I am specifically prohibited from showing somehow how to replace a serpentine belt or a spark plug wire?

I don’t know if that wording is in writing, I don’t have a copy of our policy paperwork. It was communicated to me after verbal discussion with our insurance broker by the several trusted members who met with her.

Someone trying to run such a class would be jeopardizing the very existence of DMS, as losing insurance = no more DMS.

You can give advice and assist someone working on their vehicle as long as they are doing the work themselves. That has different implications than teaching official ‘sanctioned’ class to a group of people.

Yes vehicles are fundamentally different unique as far as insuraince is concerned, I realize it doesn’t make sense, but to the best of my knowledge that is the world we live in.

Sounds like a topic for the next board meeting. Unwritten “rules” are bad. Verbal agreements don’t hold up in court. Etc, etc.

1 Like

I would suggest emailing the board for further clarification, and once proof is obtained, we can request a rule to be added at the next board meeting. No point in adding something to the agenda unless there’s a proposed solution that is immediately actionable.

3 Likes

Agreed. I’ll send an email.

1 Like

Rule # 9 for Events states “Terms and Conditions for events can be dictated and modified by the Board of Directors.”. The insurance concerns for automotive classes were discussed at length in the board meeting on Wednesday, with the BOD supporting everything Brandon’s said here.

2 Likes

Must have happened after I left. I’ll review the video.

In that case, I’ll add an agenda item to have those special rules for Automotive added to someplace public. Not everyone reads Talk, nor can we hold someone accountable after the fact for something which was not communicated to them beforehand, assuming they were complying with the spirit and letter of DMS Rules.

1 Like

The pansy ass “what if” and “liability” garbage that seems to over rule common sense. THis breaks rule number 1 at the DMS.

If liability is such a fear - then have a tablet at the lift where anyone that allows their car to be looked at signs the disclaimer like they do at the front door.

ASE certified means nothing to the European car world.

Perhaps I should “Un-Donate” the lift?

1 Like

Common sense dictates that you consider the consequences before acting. The board has bent over backward to get the insurance company to allow as much automotive activity at DMS as there is. A liability waiver will not protect DMS or the insurance company from a lawsuit.

What certifications should we require people to have to teach classes on European cars?

By definition a donor has no control over donations.

3 Likes

Thank you Captain obvious!

The liability waiver won’t protect anyone form any lawsuit period, so why have have the waivers at the door in the first place?

1 Like