Automotive - Basic Maintenance

Hi y’all, before covid shut everything down, there was supposed to be an Automotive - Basic Maintenance class. It was taught by @skyspook and covered the below topics. Is there any chance a class like this could be taught? Either by Justin or someone else. Or if someone could spare some time to go through some of this stuff? As a millennial city girl, all I know is that car repairs are expensive and that I should immediately call my dad. Would love to learn how to fend for myself lol. Thanks! Jazmine

Basic inspection of a car’s overall condition
Maintenance parts to look for and replace
Basic parts and function
Oil and filter changes
How to prioritize repairs
Basic inspection of a car’s overall condition
Transmission and Differential check and maintenance

3 Likes

I could do a couple of these classes. We might want to add ODB2 Code Readers (all cars have Diags now), and a few words about A/C, heating, fuses and schematics.

Another tact might be to bring a car, along with the Chilton or Haynes Manual, and go through a single procedure in the book to demonstrate that reference materials are workable.

That would be awesome! I’m not sure how classes are set up. Does the department need to approve?

1 Like

Usually, someone just posts an Event (Class) on the Calendar, and it either gets approved or nixxed.

It’s helpful to write a good description or syllabus, which any teaching successor can use. If anyone in Automotive has such a syllabus, please chime in. In the mean time, I will check the Automotive drive.

1 Like

I’d be happy to host as well. I think a few useful courses could include Car buying 101 which would include items to look for prior to a vehicle purchase. Along with Pre-road trip inspections and maybe winterizing.

3 Likes