Auto Monthly Meeting

When is the next meeting scheduled?

Would like to add a couple of agenda items

Thanks

1 Like

Auto is moving to Mondays - time slot to be determined.

I’m open to suggestions as to a time and a place(does not have to be at the DMS).

Maybe once in while see if some dealership, body shop, or garage would let us have it there and tell us or show us a few things.

Uhm, I don’t think they would want the general public fo know what goes on beyond the “No customers beyond this point” line because their “insurance won’t allow it.” :grin:
But, it’s a good idea, informative and will be eye-opening.

For the time being we are meeting at 8PM in the automotive work area.

Reputable garages allow responsible customers “in the work area” - those that don’t are the ones to steer away from no matter what their cliche’ excuse is.

The Mercedes Benz dealer in Boerne TX has very large glass windows for customers to watch the technicians work on customer’s cars…and that dealership provides the tools as well.

Would have to be a Monday during normal bus hours - In Euless on Hiighway 10 there is a Porsche (not Zim’s) only garage that will allow individuals to tour / walk around the working garage - granted the senior tech filters out those that could be a “danger” to themselves etc before opening the door to the shop. The sop is called Mayo Performance - great folks.

Probably have to be a Monday - I’ll ask a former customer and one of the oldest factory trained BMW tech if he would be open to having a small group of us over to his shop. He is close to the Space and has downsized to a smaller shop in the decade. For the BMW folks - he has the factory and the diagnostic tools and more.

Flexible on day/evening /better weather -If anyone wants to venture out near my neck of the woods - we can meet with a welder/fabricator that rebuilds machine tools (always has a mill or 3 in his shop) in his retirement (retired faa crash investigator among other things).

3 Likes

Both sound awesome.

I’m sure the dealer would love to show/strut his facility. Sounds like a shop that is working to world class standards. “If the tool is needed we’ll provide and have it available.” Allows for specialized tools and good tolls. less damage to vehicles and time is money. Probably learn some tricks and “What to Look To For Tips” if buying the types of cars & trucks they service.

That would be great. Tell him required we’ll all wear oven mittens to keep out hands at bay.

Your friends shop also sounds great. I bet we can get tours of of some of the engine rebuild shops: total engines and places that do heads, cams, cranks. See some NDT testing, I think folks would find that interesting. I think we could have some really interesting venues.

It would even be great to go to an auction house and learn what tips they can give in getting a good buy and what top watch out for based on their experience. Wouldn’t have to every month, say every other month. Great change up and a chnce to meet resources in the area.

1 Like

This is kinda my mentality. If I need a tool I buy it or build it.

1 Like