Auto Lift Training - $50

See eventbrite to sign up and pay, https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dallas-makerspace-auto-lift-training-tickets-18584205860

You pay $50
You get trained (lift safety, how not to be an idiot, proper procedures, etc)
You get 24/7 access to our 2 post drive on lift

If you are already a Dallas Makerspace member, this training class will teach you basic lift safety and authorize you to use our two post drive on lift. Training is mandatory to use our lift. There is currently no reservation system and lift use is available on a first come first serve basis.

Lift use rules include but are not limited to:

• Only DMS trained and authorized operators allowed
  • Only operator’s personally owned vehicle may be placed on lift
  • Use at your own risk, DMS not responsible for any damage you do to your own property
  • Maximum curb weight 6,000 pounds
  • Video surveillance in use, unauthorized or unsafe lift operation will result in banishment from DMS

This is on short notice now that the lift is fully functional, post when you would like the next training to be if you can’t make this one.

Also note the limitations of this drive on 2 post lift, you can’t swing arms out of the way, you have to drive over the lifting pads/ramps, we installed it on purpose in the narrow configuration(anything wider than a corvette will not fit), we only have a 12 foot ceiling, and we are limiting actual curb weight to 6,000 pounds. I realize that this won’t accommodate everyone who ever wanted to use a lift at DMS with any vehicle for any purpose, but this is what we have to work with.

2 Likes

If you already know your way around lifts, do you still need to take the class?

Yes, for liability reasons everyone must take training to be allowed to operate the lift at DMS.

4 Likes

As long as there are still tickets available on Monday, I will be there! I have great need to replace the shift solenoids on my Buick, but accessing the transmission in any form from just a few inches off the ground is not an ideal thing D:

1 Like

Any chance of adding Saturday class? I will be in the six sigma training on Wednesday.

1 Like

I just bought a ticket. Can we use my truck as the example vehicle? Need to look under it anyways

Just curious since we’ve been talking lately about the space’s finances, how much of the class fees go to the instructor vs committee vs general fund? Say, if 10 people attend the class? I imagine that maintenancing the left has an expense.

2 Likes

Chuck Graff will be teaching class so it would be up to him, if not during then you could lift it right after class (should be fairly short)

All lift fees will go only towards auto committee funds.

1 Like

Bump, this is tomorrow

1 Like

As a brand new member who is trying to fit in a lot of training and classes right now, do you have any idea the next time this might be offered?

I could run a training on October 7th in the evening or Saturday 10th in the afternoon, when would work best for you?

2 Likes

Honestly, either would be great but I would personally prefer Saturday the 10th. I feel I don’t always have a lot of brain power left for important safety information in the middle of the week.

I’d be down for training on a Saturday too.

I would be game for the Saturday class.

The 10th would be perfect.

I will set up a class for the 10th.

3 Likes

Good news is I got some lift related tools, the bad news is I mostly already spent the $650 we made from the 13 people in the first training.

8 Likes

But the better news is the tools look great, they were definitely needed now, and this totally justifies to all the naysayers why it made/makes sense to charge $50 for this training and certification-to-use.

3 Likes

Great, what kind of attachments come with those stands? Got a product linky?

No attachments, just the square piece of rubber on top, they are 2 ton stands from northern tool