Auto Lift - Arms

I need access to the sides of my car on the lift. Is there a way to pull out the pad between the arms and just use the arms themselves? That would allow me the access I need.

1 Like

No, this is not allowed on our lift.

1 Like

Afaik, our lift is a pad lift like this model, Two Post Lift | SPOA7 | Asymmetric Pad Lift, so no, there aren’t traditional arms under the pads. For further evidence, you can also look at the pivot and see that our lift doesn’t have locks to stop the arms from rotating.

The best you can do for access to the sides is to put the car up on the steel blocks, they’ll give you a few inches of clearance between the pad and the pinch welds.

4 Likes

Thanks for the quick responses. I got it.

1 Like

Out of curiosity……what are you trying to do?

I’m trying to put underglow lights on my teenage son’s car, part of which would run below the doors on either side. Hence, my question. I can find a spot further away from the edge to use the steel blocks on the lift pads and give me the access I need.

We used to do this A LOT back in the early 2000s and the way we always did it on vehicles that were already lowered was to lift one side at at a time.

Yes, its on the ground, but sometimes you just have to do what you can.

I would think that with the newer technology you are using LED style, but as a word of longevity, i would get rubber washers to help absorb some of the shock and definitely solder/heatshrink all connection points.
One of the biggest issues from “back in the day” was shock from stiffer suspension or water damaging the connection points or the lights themselves.
One of the reasons Underglow had “meh” reviews.

Another thing we used to do was to wire the Underglow system through a toggle switch so it was controllable instead of the “comes on when the lights do” style of install.