Auto area cleanup & misc

Last night in automotive had some help from the last two folks I helped with their car repairs.

Ebony sorted out the metal shelves - PLEASE try to keep them neat - not just for Saturday’s open house.
Charles (new-ish member) mounted the paper towel holder to the side of the green toolbox.

Ebony and Charles also cleaned out the oil drain pans - If “SOMEONE” changes their oil, coolant, transmission fluid etc of uses one of these drain pans - they are EXPECTED to clean them out when finished and put them back on the metal shelves (bottom left shelf).

Ebony was quoted $900 for tie rods and an alignment at a local franchise garage. I sourced both factory tie rod assemblies and rack boots for $68(plus tax).

Charles was at the Space last week to test out in the woodshop when the thermostat housing on his Mustang - He and I and Alan Wan did the repair.

Stan & I put the purple EV’s motor on the work table and I removed the clutch disc - I hope to get it rebuilt locally so that Jayson the"King of Disassembly" can put the motor back in the truck.

I’ll be asking for a hand in changing out the parts washer fluid in a week or two. Train the trainer sort of thing.

5 Likes

Serious question: how do you want them cleaned? Is a shop towel wipedown sufficient?

At home, I have a dirty tub of stuff that is just wiped off with a shop towel and tossed in. It provides containment because cleaning oil can often feel futile.

1 Like

This would be perfect - unlike the half inch of swirling black mystery mix that was left in two of the gray ones.

The alternative would be for folks to bring their own oil drain pan - where they can use it and take it home with them. Something like this :

oil drain pan

2 Likes

Home depot buckets, mop buckets, drip pans, a large pile of kitty litter formed into an oil-volcano shape, plastic coke bottles.

PS. I’m in agreement, but where there’s a lazy person, there’s a way.

1 Like

The “fix” for that is show the lazy / pig pens the door. No one needs to clean up someone else’s “I don’t care” mess or laziness.

6 Likes