August & September 2020 VECTOR Meetings - Want an arcade game?

Our next VECTOR committee meeting is coming up in 1 week: August 20 at 7 PM in-person at the North Lobby Classroom and online at meet.google.com/yhz-dkmv-trp . We also have our September meeting set up for 9/17 at 7 PM at the same locations.

August agenda: (https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/15897)

1. Plan a time to work on mini mockups of pinball and arcade parts for physical demonstrations next time we have conventions.
  2. Updates on our personal projects in VECTOR.
  3. Work time.

September: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/15898 (Agenda TBD)

Seeing as how arcadecenter.com is still showing details for Houston Arcade Expo 2019, I have to imagine the show isn’t happening this year. However, I haven’t asked anyone from the Houston Area Arcade Group nor sifted through their Facebook group yet.

If you’ve been considering getting an arcade game for yourself, keep your eyes open for deals from arcades closing or shedding inventory, or individuals who route games looking to downsize their collection. On Sunday, @childofthehorn and I met an owner/operator as he was packing up games from Realms of Arcadia in Highland Village (which was closing for good) and we were able to make a killer deal for two games for our home collection. We’d be more than happy to show you how to put in the work to restore your games and build a fun collection that can possibly bring you profit for the hours you spend working on them (assuming the market for arcade games doesn’t totally crash in the next few months :wink: ).

Also, who all is interested in using our EvapoRust tubes to un-rust long skinny metal objects? :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is exactly what I’ve been wanting to learn! I haven’t bought a pinball yet because I don’t know what to look for or how much work restoring a game actually takes.

Perfect! We’d love for you to join us next Thursday then to discuss more. In short, you can find games in various conditions, but games in better shape command higher prices, as do newer games (usually). You can also find projects that play to your existing skills so that it’ll be easier to finish, and you can learn the other aspects of arcade machines (mechs, electronics, art, cleaning, woodworking/cabinetry) at your own pace. Feel free to follow up here or on PM with any additional questions in the meantime. VECTORians are most active on our ancient Google Hangouts channel.

1 Like

Friendly reminder that our September meeting is coming up tomorrow! Come prepared with any arcade, pinball, or restoration topics you wish to discuss.

August 20 meeting notes:
Attendees: Robert Myers, Nathan, Paul, Chuck, Stephen
7:05 PM - Meeting called to order
7:06 - Motion to amend rules to allow unsupervised public play of VECTOR games; motion failed
7:15 - Discuss Paul removing Polynesia
7:25 - Discuss demand for project bays
7:30 - Discuss sourcing for parts
7:35 - Adjourn to the VECTOR area to discuss individual projects

1 Like

They are going ahead, Astrud and I got the vendor and hotel booking info a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.arcadecenter.com/ is updated with current 2020 info.

1 Like