August 21st total eclipse

When I mention this to people it seems like no one else knows about it. Monday August 21 there will be a total solar eclipse visible down the center of the country in a path from Oregon to South Carolina. The closest to Texas that will be in the center of the total path will be Nebraska, Missouri, and Tennessee, but Dallas will see 75% to 80% (or so). I’m thinking about a class on making eclipse viewers for those not using glasses or welding goggles, but was wondering if anyone else is doing anything. Anyone have a desire to video the eclipse or set up a large scale viewing area?

7 Likes

I would love a class on making projection viewers for my kids. I am making a trip to Nebraska to see the eclipse and I bought the NASA recommended cardboard viewers on Amazon but I think my kids are too young to use them safely. Someone knows about it because hotels and campsites in the path of the eclipse are getting booked up but people I talk to have never heard of it.

2 Likes

More info for those curious.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

Lots of places online seem to have glasses for a few dollars. Some were being given out for free at Maker Faire this year.

1 Like

You can also stack 4 or 5 35mm film negatives together for viewing.

There was a week-long series on an eclipse in Peanuts way back in the day. Linus was excited, and made a cardboard pinhole to view it, he was so proud of it. Here’s the punch line:

3 Likes

I will mark my calendar. I have 4-5 welding lenses from the last one last year.

Peanuts? What was that? Must have been before I was born.

I’ve heard that, X-ray films, #14 welding goggles, and several versions of the box viewer. When there was a partial in 1984 I viewed it through a folded mylar potato chip bag.

My brother has been making noises about going to see it. The problem with planning such a trip is the weather.

If you miss this one, there is a rerun here in seven years: https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/april-8-2024/

There was a partial eclipse here in Dallas the day Reagan was shot
I had went over to the Treasury store (Penny s short lived discount store)
And I had my quick and cheap viewer in the car, 2 paper plates with a pin hole’
in one and I stood in the parking lot, listen to the updates on the radio,

Off day

If you have the opportunity to see this eclipse from inside the total eclipse track, I highly recommend making the effort to view the eclipse. I have never seen a single photo (not even the HDR variety) that captures the sight the way the human eye does. And as you may have already gathered, nor do any pictures do the experience justice. Watching a partial eclipse, while special, does not compare to watching a total eclipse. If you can make it happen and if the weather cooperates, you will not be disappointed.

2 Likes

Exactly right, and the eclipse in 2024 goes right over my house near Kaufman, or at least very near.

2 Likes

I’ve had it on my calendar for six months now. Haven’t decided if I will travel or not.

Remember that some of the best photos can be had using dappled light with the eclipse repeated. Like this:

https://petapixel.com/2012/05/21/crescent-shaped-projections-through-tree-leaves-during-the-solar-eclipse/

1 Like

[quote=“clk75201, post:13, topic:22267”]
Remember that some of the best photos can be had using dappled light with the eclipse repeated. Like this:
https://petapixel.com/2012/05/21/crescent-shaped-projections-through-tree-leaves-during-the-solar-eclipse/[/quote]

We had a partial eclipse here sometime in the 90s. That effect was the best part, but most people did not notice it.

That is a great thing for kids to do, take pictures of sun coming thur leaves
over time

1 Like

Here’s an interesting video about the upcoming eclipse including an app to find the exact location of the path and suggestions for videoing the eclipse. https://youtu.be/qc7MfcKF1-s

1 Like

Been near a total eclipse … the sky is a strange color and I remember all the birds kind of weirding out because it was all of a sudden “Dude! Its night, and we’re not home.”

If you can see one, it truly is a bucket list item.

2 Likes

When I looked a few weeks ago, NW Nebraska hotels were booked, except a Fairfield Inn at $300/night. Consequently, my family is holding a mini-reunion at a relative’s house in South Dakota. We’ll get up at some ungodly hour and road trip to the optimal viewing path. So excited for two opportunities: science & family.

3 Likes

This is a great video with lots of tips and enthusiasm. I was going to post it myself.
View it if you have the slightest interest in the topic.
I took some leaf light pictures of the partial eclipse here in Dallas decades ago. I strongly recommend NOT using direct viewing hacks and I am dismayed that the video does not make clearer that removing the protection to bare eye view ONLY works if on the Full eclipse path.
The demonstration of the locator app is very effective.
I will be out to shadow view in Dallas, not having enough life expectancy to spend much money on once iun a lifetime events.

Please note that there is another event in 2024 where the solar eclipse totality will be over the Dallas/Waco/Temple area. I plan to see this year’s event in TN as I have work there and can combine it with a business trip.

1 Like

My soul ascended to the heavens when the Mayan calendar ‘ran out’ a few years back.

2 Likes