August 2017 Kiln News

Anything of mine that is unwrapped is ready for bisque. Still wrapped bowls will go to the Thursday class in case someone breaks something/would like another.

@Shirley - they are on blue bats all the way to the right and low

1 Like

Unloaded the glaze kiln. Everything that had been glazed up to Friday had gotten into that kiln.

One bowl that I was suspicious of (glazed completely down to the edge that touches the shelf) did indeed run. I’d put it on a glaze tray, so now that’s fused.

@meanbaby’s bowl didn’t run. The commercial stilt did melt a bit. The spikes completely collapsed under the weight of the bowl… And the stilt stuck to the glaze tray I put the whole thing in.

That was it. No other sticky bits. Everything else that I stuck a cookie under came loose from the cookie.

4 Likes

After macro, I’ll have some more glaze trays to donate to the Save the Shelf effort. They’ll be pedestal style but that might help them last a little longer.

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll try to knock it off when I get back to Dallas. I have used that stilt multiple times with high fires but, I did not even think about the weight of that large bowl. I should have use the bed of nails for more support.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that those commercial stilts don’t seem to be quite the right metal for repeated high fire. We’ve got a collection that’ve been used, and it seems like every time I use one of those, it collapses under the pot. They were there before I started firing the kiln, so I don’t have any idea how many times they’ve been used.

And – now there’s a bisque kiln running. There was Too Much Stuff. Some of Carl’s mugs didn’t make it in, and one of Matthew’s Large Plant Pots didn’t go either. There’s also a small really thick piece that I didn’t want to explode (might not) with the really full kiln.

If there’s just a few more things, I may run another bisque when this one comes out. It’s looking a bit lean for either bisque or glaze right this minute.

1 Like

I’m going to put a lot of little things out for a bisque kiln this afternoon.

1 Like