Aug Electronics and AR SIG mtng

Reminder:
Wed Aug 8 7:30pm — 9pm
Purple Classroom

50 Chars - Seriously? :scream:

1 Like

“AR SIG mtng”

Better watch out. People get nervous when you use AR as an acronym around here.

3 Likes

Yeah, They can come to the mtng
Might be disappointed.
On the other hand - An AR w/ An AR makes a good combo…

4 Likes

I wonder how useful it would be to have a AR-15 with a SDR duct-taped to it.

2 Likes

Doubt being duct taped to it would be useful unless it was some kind of encoded/encrypted remote…
Encrypted/secured SDR would be handy/needed should conditions become…

Schultz posted this :wink:

1 Like

Ohhhhh…an SDR programmed as a GPS attached to an AR-15. Does that mean that Big Brother will now be able to track their exact location as well? Now, that’s scary.

1 Like

Then we tie it to a weather balloon since it won’t have the altitude limit. Now it’s a science AR.

1 Like

Altered/Spoofed GPS data.
Just keeps getting better.
And better…

1 Like

AR = Augmented Reality?

2 Likes

I believe it was intended to be Amateur Radio.

3 Likes

The one item that would have been the clear winner for my time during this time slot is not meeting this month. I now have a 3 way tie of alternatives.

1 Like

What the f is AR?

Amateur Radio
ArmaLite Rifle
Augmented Reality
Armed Robotics
Adversarial Rascal
Arduino Revolt
Antenna Rebel

1 Like

Are you sure you want to pester the “Voluntold”?

Just say’in…

2 Likes

Kinda like # 5
Covers many possibilities. :smirk:

3 Likes

Armed with ARs…

And more characters for the usless rule…

2 Likes

I saw that, @artg_dms! Not pestered till I know what I’m doing! :confused:
@zmetzing, wish you were going tonight

This is what I propose for our first HAM RADIO project-- a Collapsible Fabric Yagi Antenna

I would love to have a portable antenna to have contact with satellites. Anyone else?

See you tonight!

2 Likes

Looks like I won’t make it to the meeting tonight.

I talked with Art last weekend a bit about how we might get the ham gear set up once we move to the new location. We’re not supposed to have antennas visible from the street. ( Wish we’d re-negotiated that. )

A low height inverted V would let us do NVIS work - useful for emcom. We could also look into building a couple of magnetic loop antennas. One for 80 and 40, and another for 20 and 10. Those work well close to a ground plane ( ie the roof ). They work well in high noise environments too.

Whatever we pursue on antennas, we need to plan ahead when we run the new cabling. Several runs of good coax from the operating position to the roof would be nice. That’s the hard part. On the roof, just connect up whatever antenna to one of the runs and connect the radio to the bottom end of same run.

I also spoke to Art about the possibility of putting up some rooftop cameras for weather. We have some cameras that might work, and there are inexpensive ( surplus ) analog to IP video converters around. Be fun to have, and if it’s used a lot, maybe we upgrade to better native IP cams in the future.

Sorry I can’t join you this evening.

Todd

2 Likes

Should put up a small ADS-B antenna up (they’re only about 24" high) but at 1090Mhz, the coax run will need to be as short as possible. ADSB / FlightAware is a very cool combo and runs on a Raspberry Pi. It’s good fun to track aircraft and hit the Air band on the radio to listen to planes/towers on approach and departure. Just another way to gain some interest, possibly.

Looks like this:

4 Likes

I have several fiber to 100MB adapters. I was pondering using fiber to get to the roof, then back to ethernet. Put a small switch and the converter in a box, and we have remote control. Put the Pi, the dongle, the ADS-B filter all in a box, VERY short coax, and we’re there.

Fiber is for lightning isolation on the network side, BTW. Also RF immune. Mostly.

4 Likes

Also, if we have network to the roof, let’s put up an ARDEN (sp?) node. Doesn’t matter if it can’t see far. Might be just the spot to link up with others. I know there’s a node in Carrollton. May be one to our west too. Get some point to point stuff going.

2 Likes