Attention Glass Enthusiasts! Silvering Is Back, Baby!

Are you a fan of glass? Are you frustrated that it’s not reflective and shiny? Do you want to turn your basic C-tier glass into an S-tier mirror? We in Science have got your back! Turns out that we actually still have the reagents. An event will be posted on the calendar soon!

If you are interested in colored mirrors, then let us know what colors you may be interested in and we will look into it!

8 Likes

i need to make gold colored mirrors. it could be silver backed yellow if i can find the right yellow to use as a base

I don’t suppose you have a source for thin glass, do you? I’m thinking somewhere between 0.8 and 1 mm.

if you set the filter on the “glass finder” on here Silver On Thin Clear - 90 COE | Solid Colors

most of them are 2mm for the “thin” version. but thats sheet glass for stained glass and such, i havent seen a lot of thinner stuff. not to say it doesnt exist

@kobin You heard the man! Mah boi needs gold

Would ya settle for silver for now?

silver on yellow glass could work

Keep an eye on the calendar for the silver mirroring class this Saturday at 2pm, there are 6 slots available. We’ll test out the technique on glass ornaments.

Sent: May 2, 2022 11:34 PM
To: [email protected]
Reply-to: [email protected]
Subject: [Glass Working] Attention Glass Enthusiasts! Silvering Is Back, Baby!

PearceDunlap Glassworks Chair
May 3

silver on yellow glass could work

1 Like

dang I can’t do Saturdays but I’ll try and get someone in the class to take it so we can see if we can use it for stained glass sheets.

We are going to try our best to train more and more teacher for this class, so we are hoping to make this a regular thing, both to help build up glass works and science at the same time. I understand you could get someone else to take it, but I’ll make sure you get a chance to take it in person sometime in the near future if you are still interested, even if I have to teach it myself.

This is all in the interest of making science more useful to all committees

The silver mirroring class was fun last weekend, although somehow we made more of a dark color instead of bright silver. I suspect maybe the silver oxidized in solution.

Thanks to all who attended!

3 Likes

That sounds like a fun class! I’ll keep an eye out