Atomic Energy Reading Room & Nuclear Science Movie Night

I have scheduled the Interactive Classroom for December 2nd, from 2 PM to 10 PM, for these two items, which I am thinking from now on will be held in conjunction. Basically, I will bring in a variety of books, pamphlets, periodicals, & other reading matter on atomic energy topics, & lay it out on the table for anybody who wishes to read it there. Then, at 8.30, I will thread up the projector & set up the screen, & we will watch films. I expect to have a new film at that time, to supplement the ones I have shown previously.

As a note, I have applied for the honorarium for the “Movie Night”. As in the past, I think this is reasonable, considering the expense of acquiring the films & keeping the projector in running order, & especially now that I am also hosting the “Reading Room”. I hope that our Honorarium Auditors will agree!

3 Likes

@publius ~ I think it’s great that you have these types of movie nights - because they are educational in and of themselves!

Since you are a never-ending wealth of knowledge, you might consider adding a Q&A session either before the movie and/or after it, to allow members attending a chance to ask questions and learn from what you can teach on the subject. As long as members walk away with new knowledge, having learned something from the session, and continue to enjoy these informative and educational movies, it seems like it would be a win for the members, as well as the committee that receives the $50.00 committee’s share of the honorarium. This is, of course, just my opinion. Hopefully the Honorarium auditors will also see the opportunity for members to learn new things about Atomic Energy and Nuclear Science during the discussion about the subject that will be covered in the movie. :smiley:

I certainly do always try to provide some context & commentary for each film, & an opportunity for discussion afterwards. Not to do so would, in my opinion, be rather silly & more than a little self-defeating. Likewise, for the “Reading Room”, I will be on hand to help direct folks to materials which may address the particular interests or questions they have.

2 Likes

I ought to mention that this provides an opportunity for those folks who have been asking about a repeat of my “Introduction to Atomic Energy” lectures to “dip a toe in the water”. The full class series seems difficult to justify presenting more often than quarterly. One of these book + film events a month, however, might be viable. And it allows somewhat more in-depth treatment of individual questions or interests, especially if I have some inquiries beforehand about specific topics.

Barring accidents (while coming to DMS a few weeks ago, a freeway sign gantry collapsed just in front of me!), I hope to see folks tomorrow.

1 Like