Assembly Programing Language

I concur with @artg_dms to start with the simpler architectures.

But why is assembly language a “Damn good set of tools to have in your problem solving tool box.”?

Because sometimes you may run into a challenge that the finest compiled languages cannot solve. In the following link, the challenge was to drive seven LED strips at a high speed from a lowly Arduino Uno. About a page down into the source code, it drops into a few dozen lines of assembly language! I built one of these signs.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help. It mean a lot to me. I do not know a whole a lot about computer architecture but I you have to start somewhere.
I am also severely dyslexic . I have found that my best form of communication is to speak in person. But I am enjoying all the feedback. If you are going to be at DMS and have some free time to chat that would be great! My schedule is pretty free.
Thank
Shane

Ugh!

I hope that is a stock photo and not the actual book you have. Starting with the second edition, he began using his own tools and his own language.

While it is easier to learn than ordinary assembly language, the skill is of limited use:

• does not help understanding machine code as displayed by a debugger
  • is not useful if you have to disassemble and analyze someone else’s program
  • you may not be able to call your code from a high-level language
  • you will not be able to use most code written by others
  • should his web site disappear and you lose your copy of his tool, you are up the creek

The first edition was pretty good.

1 Like

Is that why your rearranged username spells diXlaccik?

2 Likes

I like that!!
I have a YouTube channel called A 3D dyslexic. A DD D slexic! I am not sure if I have ADD or ADHD or both.

1 Like

Well, the ADD is the same. It’s just whether you stare into space or bounce off the walls. Or talk non-stop. I’m just the ADD. I’ll be staring into space if you’ve bored me or otherwise failed to capture my attention…

On most processors, ADD is an instruction to perform addition.

Unless you are on an Intel 8008 where it is specialized to add the D register to the accumulator. The 8008 has a strange assembly language:

SUB - subtract the B register from the accumulator
SUM - subtract the contents of memory whose address is in registers H and L from the accumulator

2 Likes