Ask Me! (discussion about shirts/tags/hats/pins/etc... for New Member Integration)

Once again, a reminder that I am not a graphic artist in any way shape or form! (obviously lollollol)

A shirt design similar to what I have below would be simple enough yet have enough details to be helpful, I would imagine… except maybe having the text at the top and bottom being rounded (making a circular type shape to surround the “Ask Me!” that’s in straight and centered the middle… The online tool I was messing with didn’t have a way to ‘shape’ the words though… and maybe either put our logo on a sleeve or perhaps somewhere else on the front (upper left where badges are normally worn? below the “Ask Me?”) or just leave the logo off and have it be all text??

2 Likes

The good thing about this is we got an item completed. Next step would be to put them in an information kiosk or members could keep their own. We also should define what these members do.

Great job yall!! Lisa if you want to make shirts thats cool. The main thing is that it gets done and implemented.

1 Like

Thank YOU!! I should’ve mentioned that PR has a role of ABS. But thank you for yalls work!

Why not flip the script and ask new members to identify themselves as well?

1 Like

Agreed! That’s why I mentioned it in the first post above… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome would you like to head up this task? We could make stickers or whatever. If theres a cost involve please say so and we can figure something out.

I’ve got to say, trying to make yourself unavailable doesn’t ever work for me. I even changed to giant headphones to try and make them more visible but I still have people talking at me non stop.

Also am I the only person who thinks a shirt is going to get pretty nasty if the helpful people are wearing them every time they are at the space and willing to help? Or am I just at the space too much for that comparison?

2 Likes

I hear ya… I consistently have others asking me to help with things when I am in the middle of classes, and when I have my grandsons with me ~ both times when I would rather focus on what I’m trying to learn and/or help the boys learn… Having others “obviously” being available might help with that. At the very least, it should help the new members better identify who to approach.

LOL ~ Hopefully they will get washed every now 'n then! :wink:

If it’s a design that they like, they may end up buying more than one? I love the design on the shirt that I wear most often to the 'Space so much, I have actually purchases five or six of the same shirt in different sizes / materials for myself, as well as a couple for each of my grandsons! I didn’t buy them all at one time… When one starts to get grungy, or a different material is used, I will often buy another one. Now I can easily wear the same design on a different shirt almost every day of the week ~ w00t! (I am not suggesting that I expect others to buy so many of the same design… but, I suspect that some of the members who come quite a bit probably do the same as I do ~ when they find a design they truly like to wear! :slight_smile: )

Edit to add a pic of me wearing my FAV Dallas Makerspace shirt! :hearts::smile::dms:

Even using my all time FAV Dallas Makerspace shirt design, it could be modified to make the image smaller, and have “Have Questions?”, “Just Ask!” prominently printed above the original design of that shirt…

Some more of my mad skillsz here (lollollol)… and obviously not to scale ~ as I would hope to have more emphasis on “Have Questions?”, “Just Ask!”… (also have the text curved to make it rounded instead of diagonal like I have it - since I don’t have a plug-in that allows me to shape my text on this laptop)

[center][/center]

(just another idea… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: )

A couple of very basic button ideas…

Perhaps offer a premade “Ask Me!” button at cost for members who are willing to volunteer… Or better yet “first one free”, then if the members want more, they can buy them for a small upcharge???

Offer a free “New Member” button to all new members, free of charge (keep them near the key cards/fobs and new member handbooks…

and then maybe have ‘visitor stickers’ in the lobby to help identify visitors?

2 Likes

Nice! If you want to go head and get that done, great!

1 Like

Yeah the paid for thing was just to let people know I did pay for stuff and didn’t steal it and also that we have to pay for stuff. Hehe

2 Likes

I’ll be at the Space Sunday evening for the Python class, and will make a couple of buttons to see how they look.

I’ll post photos of the sample buttons that I make on this thread tomorrow night.

I’ll have to find out from the @Creative_Arts_Team how much the buttons will cost for a couple of dozen each (to start with), and see how much the @PR_Team has available in the budget to use towards making the buttons… Once I get the go-ahead, I’ll start making them.

:slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure @SewingStuff is working on pins. Is this the “helper” pins?

Lisa,

I love all of it! Brilliant and it will surely be effective! I believe the
name tags are pretty much there but could use a couple of tweeks. Do you
know if somebody has volunteered for this? If not, I could take 30min to
and hour to take a stab at it.

For all communications directed solely at members, is the DMS abbreviation
considered ummm… tactless, I guess is the word??

Thank you so much for reaching out to me. I’m learning how to find the
information I’m looking for on Talk, but for me personally it can just be a
energy exhausting experience… but I’m trying.

Best and thank you,
Eric

Thanks, yes this is correct. @SewingStuff and @axeonos have already completed this task. @LisaSelk if you would like to collaborate with them and let them know what you got going on that would be great. I think she already printed 21 badges from 3d printing, so we probably don’t need new ones at the moment.

New Member Integration

Please check this to do list and see if an item is completed or who is doing a task. Multiple people can join a task.

1 Like

I figure 21 pins won’t last long. I’ll give it a month before they’re lost entirely, so the more the merrier!

1 Like

don’t make it that simple. go for a printed QR code on the forehead so they have to at least take the self initiative to scan it.

For whoever decides to work on the “Sign-up Instructions”, there are already instructions available for using MakerManager 3 that you might want to check out to get a head start on the larger scope of the (to-be) new Sign-up Instructions. Here’s a link for ya! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the vote of confidence @Eric_Brunner! I will be in the Python class at 7 PM tonight; but, if I see you before or after, I’d love to get your input! :slight_smile:

I realize that Nicole (@uglyknees)… My question was, how much would it cost to make “buttons”? Thanks! :slight_smile:

@Ebony_Jackson, thank you for heading up the organization of the New Member Integration project! I have been following this thread, and am fully aware that @SewingStuff & @axeonos had already designed and printed off 21 pins. I think it’s awesome how quick they jumped on it; and, am looking forward to seeing volunteers wearing them!

However, I have also noticed that several members have voiced various opinions on what they would prefer to wear (shirts, pins, buttons, hats…). Also, as being a creative and voluntary community, I feel that it’s important to either (1) get input from as many members who plan on wearing “Ask Me!” stuff to find out what the majority would want to wear, and/or (2) offer “guidelines” and various “options” that the volunteers can use to decide what each individual wants to have access to wear.

Again, I think it’s totally kewl that we now have 3D Printed “Ask Me!” pins available for the members who want to wear them! (Thanks gals!) I haven’t seen them yet; but, just the fact that they were 3D Printed “in-house” gives them a special level of awesome!

That being said, I personally want to have more than one choice - depending on what’s going on at the time… If I’m going to be hanging out at the 'Space for a few hours, and do not have visitors with me, and am not going to be attending a class, then my first choice will often be to wear a shirt! They are comfy and easier to see the ‘message’ in most cases. However, if I am going to be at the 'Space for a couple of hours and half of that time I plan on being in a class to learn something, I would prefer to not be interrupted (especially since there are usually others who would actually be available). In those instances, wearing a button while I’m hanging out in the general areas - that I can easily remove during the class, would be a better option for me at that time.

Thanks @SewingStuff ! I’d be surprised if they even last that long, as I imagine a lot of members will be grabbing them up! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes