Article: Google Earth Pro, once $399, is now free

“The Pro version has the same features as the standard Google Earth along with tools that help users measure 3D buildings, print high-resolution images for presentations or reports, and record HD movies of virtual trips around the world.”

5 Likes

Sweet stuff; thanks for sharing! We should think of some ideas around leveraging these additional features. I’d like to see, for instance, if it’ll draw us a map of what exactly is within, say, 5 or 10 minutes drive from DMS. I drew some maps “by hand” by painstakingly dragging around placemarks in Google Maps until the directions guide read “5 minutes” or “10 minutes”, but haven’t cleaned up the data yet (and wouldn’t wish it upon my worst enemy :stuck_out_tongue:). Hint: the area is definitely not circular, but tends to protrude far along highways & access roads in outbound directions.

On a somewhat related note, Google Maps Engine is being discontinued. This was a service offered to power users of Maps who wanted to store additional vector or raster data. However, there are plenty of alternatives among this list, of which ArcGIS is very popular among the local mapping community.