ARTEMIS Spaceship Simulator LAN Gaming Was Great Last Night!

DMS Tribe,

I had a real blast blowing off some steam by tear-assing around the galaxy and blowing crap up!

Occasionally it was even the correct target…

And sometimes we exploded - but in a fun sort of way.

Thanks to @Robert_Davidson for hosting and the pizza plus @bgangwere for providing a server.

There were a few technical issues which is to be expected with a first time Artemis spin on the DMS network - as to why I cannot speculate because I am not familiar enough with the game to comment on mixing different versions with different laptops, etc.

Regardless, it was a great joy giving our starships obscene names and “accidentally” nuking each other.

I did sense a bit of confusion coming from people less familiar with the game and I am still on a learning curve as well. The manual is located here: (56 pages, but not too bad of a read)

http://www.eochu.com/dl/Artemis_Manual_latest.pdf

And there is also a keyboard shortcut map here (but may be better for advanced players)

http://www.bittileiri.fi/files/5372/Artemis_bindings.pdf

Another thing that may help since we were playing in separate rooms:

1. Make sure everyone knows the IP address of the server and broadcast that if it is changed

2. Agree on whether we are playing co-op or competitive

3. When one room has more than one ship in play, begin ship name prefix designations that relate to which room you are in so that you know who is an ally in the same room. This part was a bit confusing especially since the names of ships kept changing to “Fluffy Kitten” or “Safety Third”. It can be as simple as numbers, letters, colors, sexual orientation, etc. such as the S.S. 1_Tribble_Bondage.

That way you know which other starship crew you can yell at directly for targeting your ship with an EMP torpedo. (or to collaborate on an attack together)

Remember that the simulation can be paused in mid-game on the server if something important needs to be communicated.

In the future, some load testing and/or other network arrangements may help pinpoint the crash issues. Also, a short tutorial class beforehand might be advised.

This is a great community and I look forward to the further adventures of the S.S. Makerspace!

JAG “The S.S. Your Virginity Has Been Destroyed” MAN

5 Likes

Who dressed up? Pictures or it didn’t happen…

Bill,

Who dressed up?

Captain Robert Davidson definitely looked the part in his Next Generation command outfit along with his Lt. Commander wife/girlfriend I assume. (I was too busy fighting and laughing maniacally to socialize)

Pictures or it didn’t happen…

Hmmm… how’s this? (but Robert has hair and reminds me a bit more of Riker as far as his personal vibe)

I don’t have a Star Trek uniform per se, but I wore my burgundy twill lab coat with a copper leaf that symbolizes my undying allegiance to Santa.

Or someone like that.

Here is a convention photo of me wearing this outfit defending the Tardis as Doctor WTF…

JAG “Kicking Dalek Ass for Jesus” MAN

P.S. Next time I may go more with my Captain Malcom Reynolds outfit

1 Like

potato quality image of robert

1 Like

He’s wearing a Red Shirt …is he on “The Away Team”? Dead Man Walking.

David,

He’s wearing a Red Shirt …is he on “The Away Team”? Dead Man Walking.

That was more true on the original series. (with Scotty being the exception)

STTNG command officers wore red, (note Picard and Riker in the photo above) perhaps to break up the “red shirt = expendable target” stigma.

JAG “Life Insurance Question - Does Your Job Require You To Wear A Red Top For Landing Teams?” MAN

Pearce,

potato quality image of robert

Deliberate choice of words, or a hilarious example of DYAC?

JAG “Fire Photo Torpedoes” MAN