Art, photo, misc framing with Christmas coming

I may regret this later …

Some know what I do for a day job (and some late nights) - I do custom picture framing.

As a DMS member I am going to offer those (members) that would like to frame something they created at DMS for themselves or as a gift etc the opportunity to do it at a very low cost. For Christmas projects - the earlier the better. I don’t have elves or minions helping me at work.

I’ve done this for a few DMS folks last year and it worked out well.

Post here or PM me for details or ask me at the open house.

Note - this would involve you the creative one, to visit my place of work(after my “normal”) work hours to choose materials, and put in a little sweat equity in doing some of the work yourselves (after a brief lesson or two).

Call it a “do it yourself” framing experience.

Please don’t wait to get a frame done at the “last minute”

15 Likes

I am one of the people whom Tom helped this way. I made a stunning frame (octagonal mirror) at a really good price (if you know what custom framing costs you can appreciate what a great savings he gave me on the materials!) It’s a wonderful offer on his part - don’t pass this up if you have a need for framing.

4 Likes

I simply paid Tom and the results were beautiful.

I went back and had a second item mounted and framed too after commissioning a custom piece from that Etsy artist for the Red River basin. I figured my wife, the Red River Historian should have the Red River on her wall. :slight_smile:

The first map was printed at DMS on the Epson. The second was printed by Tom since the Epson was down at the time.

3 Likes

Thanks Raymond!

Raymond, that map is a fantastic find by the way!

1 Like

I wonder if you could do this on the laser?

Not with all the colors… but you could add the colors later with paint or stain.

I’m sure if you message the creator of the map and ask for a specific format he’ll do it. It cost me a whopping $20 to commission the Red River Valley map for my wife. He emailed back and forth with me and suggested a change that made it look amazing. Drop him a message through Etsy.

Yah not a bad idea.

On the Laser! could burn in the deep main rivers and then etch in the smaller ones, then color each with pigmented resin? Might be a challenge, but would look cool afterwards…and maybe even put in an Arduino LED setup behind to illuminate the colors?:thinking:

May have to experiment?

But that is one cool looking picture you found though.

Same thing here. We paid Tom to frame a world oceans bottom map and he did a fantastic job.

My parents gave me this map when I was a little girl and I pinned it to my bedroom wall.
Over the years, I folded it numerous times and pinned or glued it to the walls pretty much everywhere I lived. It goes without saying it wasn’t in the best shape, 30+ years later.

Tom did some magic and the framed map is now hanging in our living room. It looks beautiful. Means a lot to me.

9 Likes

Picture! (as in picture of the picture).

2 Likes

I have a few sketches that I bought from an artist that I would like to frame. I have only done two of the five since it cost me $100 a piece when it was on sale.

I have a 24 x 24 poster that needs framing. Would love to learn how to do it.
Jeff

Ingrid,
Your map is beautiful, the creases give it character and the quality of the artwork is not something you easily can find today.

1 Like

Samantha & Jeffbob and others interested,

I will be working late on this Weds at my store - if anyone wants to venture out for an idea of what is involved in framing (choices / options etc) that would be a good date / time (6pm to 10pm).

For the “day makers” I’ll make some Sundays and Mondays available (after the DMS open house)

Questions? just ask

2 Likes

What is the meaning of life?

2 Likes

There is always at least “one” (that 10% rule) in the crowd…

Thanks Walter !

You won’t find the answer to life at the DMS - if you think you will you’ve been mislead

3 Likes

(and 20 characters)

4 Likes

I have my dads bagpipes I’ve always wanted to do something with. I’m not sure if framing is the right thing…possibly mounting them. I don’t know something unique. I might scratch your brain.

1 Like

Learn to play them! Pass the love of the pipe to young Aiden!

http://www.hotpipes.com/practice.html

There are some locals who could probably find you tutors.

3 Likes

Buy you ‘Will’ find it at the Dallas Makerspace of Garland :sunglasses:

1 Like

Back to the topic for accuracy - if interested in framing for yourself/gifts (i.e. not commercial production work) PM me or take your chances and post here.

1 Like