Are you interested in learning any of these things?

I want to teach more and not being the chairperson of any committees at the moment makes me feel like I have the time to do it regardless of the reality of how much time I have on my hands (strike while the iron is hot!). What would you be interested in learning (if anything) if I were to teach a class?

The introduction to firearms class would be half firearms safety and half information like different kinds of firearms and their purposes. The AR-15 basics would be a brief history, how they work, and how to go about building one (how and what to buy, lower from a kit, picking a complete upper, accessories, etc.).The ZFS on Linux class would largely be a repeat of what I taught before plus updates and new information. Houdini is a proprietary 3D animation software package with a very functional free version which is really useful for prepping models for 3D printing. The laser cutting techniques would be things like precise registration, using the rotary axis, and reliable repeat-ability for production runs. Automotive maintenance would be about things usually in the manufacturer maintenance schedule like changing oil, flushing fluids, rotating tires, all that good stuff. The class about Unreal Engine and VR would be mostly about visualizing models, VR basics, and brief coverage of Blueprint scripting.

• Introduction to Firearms
  • AR-15 Rifle Basics
  • ZFS on Linux for File Servers
  • Introduction to Houdini
  • Advanced Laser Cutting Techniques
  • Automotive Maintenance Basics
  • Introduction to Unreal Engine and VR
  • Other (please comment)

0 voters

Footnotes!
ZFS on Linux class I taught a while back - http://whenpicsfly.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Intro-to-ZFS-on-Linux.pdf
Houdini 3D animation software - https://www.sidefx.com/

1 Like

A knot tying class?

That’s one I’d definitely take, but not teach! I can’t tie knots for crap.

Dear Luke,

This is a vote for other option in addition. First time install of a popular Linux variant, such as Ubuntu or mint. General tips, requirements, known good hardware. I still learn new tips from people, especially victims of self-inflicted pain, or education.

There are a lot of people who are hesitant to make the switch but a class might put them over the edge.

An Linux intro series might be popular, one night per week, over 3-4 weeks.

On a side note can’t wait for the zfs class.

Sincerely,
Dontstop

I would like to learn Unreal Engine.

I put a class for ZFS on the calendar on August 20th. It’s first since I already have something to start with for the curriculum. I’m working on curriculum for the other popular votes and will post those when they’re ready. Thanks for the feedback everybody!

1 Like