Are we allowed to have member to member organized sales at the Space?

Personally, I’d rather keep it simple: Have it as a scheduled as an Event, limit it to DMS Makers. Each Reservation for the class would get you a table or so much space.

Again, this keeps DMS official involvement to an absolute minimum, it is merely members requesting use of space like any other activity - the retro-gaming group meets are a good example: they meet, trade, sell, etc. so the concept is not unprecedented and occurs regularly. If we collect a fee then we are running it.

8 Likes

Sounds like a plan to me. I was just trying to think of a way to work it. Your plan is better.

1 Like

Agree. To clarify my saying “handmade” meaning things we’d do with tools at dms versus resale/import items. CNC, laser, 3D printing…all that require a lot of knowledge and creativity as well. Didn’t mean to infer just because it might have more machine intervention it was less handmade in the sense I was using it. Thanks for bringing that up.

3 Likes

Artisan made, no buy/sale In fact I would LOVE to see things made with modern technolot
as well as traditional ones,

Maker Swap? Then it doesn’t even specifically say “sale” so there should be no issues whatsoever. People could just be free to take money or other items, whatever they prefer. I know I would be willing to trade with other DMS members in addition to taking money. Just indicate in the description that it is for member-made items only and organized by members for members. What about opening this up to tools in addition to member-made items or doing a separate swap for tools? A tool swap/destash/sale would be awesome. What do we need to do to get this started for Mother’s Day? My display will be very small, probably something like 1/3 of a table - happy to share space with someone else.

There should be no problem as long as it is called something like: Maker Trade Faire or Maker Swap Meet. Just do not use Dallas Makerspace in the name.

Make sure it states something like : The Dallas Makerspace is not sponsoring this event beyond providing space to its members. All transactions in whatever form are between the individuals involved and Dallas Makerspace is in no responsible or liable for products or services delivered. You get the idea, make it clear this is an individual sponsored event.

1 Like

Event Title: “Maker Show & Swap”

Description: “Member-made items will be on display in the purple room. This event is by members, for members and is not sponsored by Dallas Makerspace. Any transactions are between the individuals involved. Dallas Makerspace is not receiving any income or donations for this event and is in no way responsible or liable for products or services delivered. Any display of items, trades, sales and/or purchases are at your own risk. Dallas Makerspace will not be liable for theft, refunds, credit card chargebacks or any disputes arising from the event.”

ETA probably more formal than is needed for what will probably be a tiny, informal event but that’s my quick attempt at a description. :slight_smile:

I would schedule it for interactive. Purple is way too small.

1 Like

A shame we have to take it to that level… But be it as it is… A good place to include that - or similar - text might be in the warnings/considerations section, that way it might stand out…

1 Like

It also makes sure that we are not liable for any sales taxes.

1 Like

Mother’s Day Maker Show & Swap

Description: “Member-made items will be on display in the Interactive room. Find a unique gift for Mother’s Day or look at items made by other members. This event is by members, for members and is not sponsored by Dallas Makerspace. Any transactions are between the individuals involved. Dallas Makerspace is not receiving any income or donations for this event and is in no way responsible or liable for products or services delivered or for any sales taxes related to this event. Any display of items, trades, sales and/or purchases are at your own risk. Dallas Makerspace will not be liable for theft, refunds, credit card chargebacks, or any disputes related to this event.”

1 Like

“Dallas makerspace has no idea what’s going on in this room, and doesn’t want to know. Enter at your own peril.”

5 Likes

I like this one better

Can get BoD to post on Talk: Who are this gypsies that have set up camp here?

2 Likes

I would like to participate with my handmade metal and wood items. Has anyone finalized dates or times for this event?

My friend said somebody was talking about something around Mother’s Day, but I won’t be coordinating that one, as I’ll be out at Scarborough all weekend.

Have you put this on the calemdar @Julie-Harris ? I was thinking of maybe putting one up if someone else wasn’t planning on it. I would hate to step on toes/cause overlap that could hurt both events.

Me too, likely can’t do spring because of my shop at Scarborough, but I’d be interested in fall event.

Now if spring event were during the week, maybe, but definitely can’t in weekend.

I do agree that something timed for Mother’s Day is a great idea. Graduation around there too.

1 Like

I did not put anything on the calendar and I’m not sure how, so feel free to run with it. I would love to set up and my display will be tiny. If it would help the Scarborough people, I can do a weeknight. A Thursday evening during tour night might be kind of cool if we are allowed to do that. If it’s decided to do it on a tour night, I’ll bring some stuff that I made at DMS to display in addition to my swap/sell items. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@kyrithia @dryad2b ?? Weeknights?