Are we allowed to have member to member organized sales at the Space?

Continuing the discussion from Dragon Inkpots 123456:

NOT sponsored by Dallas Makerspace in any way other than allowing members to hold occasional sales at the Space…

1 Like

Response from Julie…

1 Like

While I am a board member (also finance chair), I was not the one that canceled the event. Not a fan of sales if they in any way imply items are sold by DMS. We have hard enough time tracking T-Shirts and consumables.

If I understand correctly, the sales have been set up as by members for members… Not as any type of official Space sponsored sale… I could be wrong, but that’s how it came across to me…

It didn’t imply that any items were sold by DMS that I recall, it was for DMS members to set up in the purple room and sell items to other DMS members for Valentine’s Day gifts.

But the description was not clear enough that it wasn’t. I think that was the issue.

We’ve had a sort of “garage sale day” a few times in the past. I’ve bought at one and bought/sold at another. It was fun and we’re overdue for another one. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well I would love to participate in a member sale, garage sale day, craft sale (by members, for members) or even just a show and tell event. It’s pretty cool to see how other people use the tools at DMS.

1 Like

Well, if THAT’s the only issue, that’s fixable. And, given that other 501c3’s we’re familiar with regularly hold craft sales which are open to (and advertised to) the general public, I don’t think that there’s a regulatory issue. In fact the Dallas Craft Guild takes a percent of sales from their craft sale.

3 Likes

I like the idea of being able to support other artists from dms if we had a occasional simple event timed around gift-times (like this last was going to be for Valentine’s and I could see a good timing of mid-fall for holiday gifts). If I’m gonna throw down money for gifts, I’d far rather spend it on an interesting unique item from an independent artist friend.

I do think it’s a good idea to have clear description of what it is and isn’t. Most importantly, dms itself isn’t involved other than the space.

I also think it’d be good for whoever sets it up to have clear boundaries for participants/sellers. Like what’s allowed to get sold and a not, clear focus of the event…are only handmade/created, or are things like folks selling products like cosmetics/home goods, then there’s destashes and swap type stuff.

I think just make it clear in description or I could see it become a messy freeforall that waters down intent. Swaps, we’ve done, the commercial stuff has other outlets. Handmade, it’d be nice to see.

My personal preference is one that would be focused on all handmade. I love seeing what folks make around the space and I think it’d be awesome to support it.

My two cents :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I second Jeannie’s thoughts. I love the opportunity to see others’ items and support other artists.

3 Likes

I third it and I will point out that it can also build interest in classes. You see someone]
doing something you want to learn, it is perfect time to ask the artist if they can teaach
s class in that

It could be designed as “Makerspace Member Artisan Sale” I thin adding a word like artisan will make it clear that it is not ht espace selling items

Around Mother s Day is another good one, with it, and Fatherers Day and graduations and weddings all coming up quickly

2 Likes

Yes, like “Makerspace Artisan Sale”
Describes well in a few words. Then full description can spell it out in more detail

1 Like

“Maker Artisan Sale” That reduces, doesn’t eliminate, that it is not a sponsored Dallas Makerspace activity, but does imply that the goods are Maker made.

2 Likes

So someone just needs to work up a good description to go with said title. I can try to eke a minute or three out to put somethig down on paper, but if someone beats me to it, that’s gravy too.

3 Likes

I would not rule out or discourage CNC, be it 3D print, laser, router or mill…

3 Likes

What if people made a donation in exchange for a table at said event? Sales and responsibilities fell on the person who purchased the table?

2 Likes

I don’t believe the issue is that the DMS isnt making anything off it, but the opposite, it needs to be clear to everyone and in the event documentation that the DMS is not selling or making a single penny off anything.

2 Likes

If you made it personally, I consider it “handmade” vs a manufactured item. There is still very much a hands on individualized component.

4 Likes

I think the intent is more to make it clear that this is not a swap meet for getting rid of junk, but an event to showcase and sell the things you have created in some way. I see no reason CNC/3D Fab/Laser items wouldn’t be welcome.

1 Like