Are there any Leather classes coming up soon?

I have a friend who’s not a member (yet…he just visited DMS for the first time recently) but who is interested in leather working, too. I will let him know about this thread. If a handful of people are interested in the same skills or activities, it might lead to a class being offered.

4 Likes

@bitta and @Webdevel are good folks to coordinate leather interest with

3 Likes

As for leather, we just had 2 project classes and there is a lasered leather journal cover class coming on the 21st. The Leather SIG is the 3rd Sunday of every month at 3pm.

I need to schedule a Leather Basics class for January and have bad luck when doing this during that on weeknights. You can PM me if there is a project you have in mind or can let me know about your availability. I’m game to cover the Basics info one-on-one so you can access the tools and supplies…that’s no problem. The idea of the Leather Basics wasn’t to keep people out, just to make sure they understand the expectations of usage and care.

I am more than willing to help with general skill building and information, but like a lot of folks, I don’t take on apprentices anymore.

3 Likes

I took one of the recent leather project classes and would love to take Leather Basics. My wife has put in a request for a long wallet so I gotta make sure I understand how to do what I’m gonna need to do.

I’ll keep checking the calendar…

1 Like

As for me most of my trouble is im only available mid-day, since i work 3-1130, wed sat off, which are bad hours. Do leather project classes count for leather basics as well?

2 Likes

No, because they only cover the stuff you use in the project.

1 Like

I’ll do a Sat class and hope you can make it.

2 Likes

Could always do a Midnight Maker leather basics :wink:

3 Likes

Really, you think there’s interest? Maybe if we followed it immediately with a project class on a weekend?

heck, I can’t even stay up that late anymore!

1 Like

Don’t know so let’s check - https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/midnight-makers-leather-basics-interest-check/16025

4 Likes

I believe the leather journal seats are already full. My boy and I have both been watching the events page for the basics class and others.

2 Likes

A Leather Basics class should be showing up on the calendar for Saturday the 28th. No worries, there are plans to repeat the lasered journal class and I’m working on a couple of other project classes.

The Leather SIG meets this Sunday at 3 (Usually always on the 3rd Sunday at 3) so please come if you can and let us know what you’d like to see - it’s like an open format planning meeting and sometimes we do a short tool/technique demo depending on what else is going on. Input from Members is a big help!

2 Likes

Can you learn everything at once? Lol.

1 Like

I’m reminded of someone who called up a prominent woodturning artist I know with about 40+ years experience. the caller exclaimed that he wanted to be a ‘master’ turner and asked if that was a one or two week course. :laughing:

1 Like

This Basics class is on the calendar now. Quick quick!

I’m a newbie but I do have some Wednesday evenings off. I have experience with rivets and snaps, but need to learn stitching

I liked your comment before, but did not express my interest in doing a late night class. I work when the classes are held, but am anxious to learn stiching to make pouches or the like

@clayoden I am at DMS late on most Thursdays. I would be glad to walk you (or anyone else who’s interested) through the basics of the various leather working tools.

3 Likes

@HankCowdog
We met and talked last month. I work til 8p tonight in Grapevine. I could come to DMS after, if will be there tonight?
Starting in February I will have Thursday evenings off.
Brian