Are the bands really dead?

No, actually, I don’t think so. I am on a campaign to try and stamp out “the bands are really dead” and “woe is me” from the amateur lexicon.

If you worked Field Day at all, the bands were in the same shape then as they are today. Yet the bands were humming! There were contacts to be had at every frequency!

What on earth was going on? Hams were on the air, that’s what!

My belief is that too many hams are switching on their rigs, tuning around trying to hear someone, giving up, and then proclaiming that “the bands are dead.” I propose that instead of doing that, pick a band that would have propagation during that time of the day, and sit on one frequency calling CQ for at least twenty minutes. Chances are, someone will tune by, see your signal on their panadapter or hear the chirp as they tune past, and come back to talk to you.

Recent studies show that the more hams on the air at a particular time, the more energized the ionosphere. Tuning around and listening doesn’t energize the ionosphere or anything else for that matter. But TRANSMITTING. Well, that’s the ticket.

So get out there every chance you get. Even if no one hears you right now, try it again tomorrow or even later today. Put some RF into the sky! The bands might be more challenging right now, but they are far from dead.

See you on the air.

Kevin N5KRG

3 Likes

Aren’t we entering the next solar minimum, I haven’t done much/any HF but that’s supposed to be good for propagation right?

A “solar minimum” is the bottom of the sunspot cycle. Sunspots are good for most HF propagation. That’s because sunspots are related to emissions that energize our ionosphere.

We’ve had days where there have been zero sunspots. That really discourages people, yet the ionosphere has actually been energized by other solar phenomena.

I encourage you to get on HF. Use the Alinco at Makerspace if you don’t have anything set up at home. It’s not exactly an SDR but I hear and have worked stations - you can too!

Remember, there is no DMS club call sign any longer. Operate on your own call sign within your license privileges, or arrange to have a control operator with appropriate privileges work with you.

Have fun!

Kevin N5KRG

3 Likes

I’ll be at the Metrocrest Amateur Radio Society (MARS) Radio Play Day on Saturday from about 10am. It’s at the Carrollton Public Library, Josey Ranch branch on Keller Springs just west of Josey. Not far from DMS.

I’ll come by DMS and see if you are still there whenever that is over - no predicting it.

Any and all Hams and interested parties are welcome to visit Radio Play Day. And, we meet at the Whataburger at Old Denton and PGBT (next to Walmart) for breakfast every Saturday at 8 - everyone is welcome to come to that too.

Kevin Grantham
N5KRG
214-763-1279

You are going to be invaluable after the zombie apocalypse … :wink:

1 Like