Are any of the current board members running for the 2017 Board of Directors?

@AlexRhodes, @Robert_Davidson, @lukeiamyourfather, @Lampy, @ESmith

Hi Board Members,

I was wondering if any of you are planning on running for the 2017 board. I have gotten mixed signals around the space. I can’t find a statement of intent, but I did notice that there was a PR candidate sheet posted for Luke, Alex, and Robert. Was that official or an assumption made by PR?

Thanks for the help,
Nick

4 Likes

Do they have an earlier deadline than the rest of the people running or something?

No, they do not… But, the fact that some have provided information to PR for the bulletin board seems to imply that they are at least strongly considering it.

I agree with Nick’s post that it does send mixed signals. Additionally, more members might be willing to step up to run for the Board if they see more people running. In my opinion, if they truly have not decided to run as of this time, then their “ads” on the bulletin board should be taken down until they actually commit to run.

3 Likes

I think you nailed it. I think some people may be strongly considering it, but not willing to commit.

My understanding was that some people were waiting to see how life settled out or how the candidates settled out before deciding to run.

For example, if only Kris and Walter are running, I’m sure people would be more likely to run as they will feel obligated because the Board needs 5, not just 2. If there’s a field of equally awesome candidates, they might take a well deserved break.

4 Likes

Thank you @LisaSelk and @SewingStuff for responding.

I don’t intend to ask them to take down their ad, just asking for a bit of clarity. Running for board is not a small decision and deserves the allowance of time to make it. I don’t intend to rush them to the decision. Just seeing the mixed signals and hope clarity can be easily found.

2 Likes

More importantly, are either of you running?

Lisa, make our Makerspace moderate again!

Nick, make our Makerspace fireworks and guns again?

4 Likes

Do we really want someone to run who feels “obligated” or pressured to run in any way? I do understand the concept of not stepping up if there are enough members running; but, honestly, if someone is already burned out - everyone benefits from them taking a well deserved break already… Burned out leaders are not in their or our best interest. Now if they are holding off because they want to “give others a chance” (in other words, not really burned out; but, on the fence and willing to go either way…), that’s a different story, I suppose.

[quote="Nick, post:5, topic:18997"] I don't intend to ask them to take down their ad, just asking for a bit of clarity. [/quote]

Understood… Though, as you already mentioned - it does lead to mixed signals. If they are “sure enough” to have their “ad” posted, then why not be “sure enough” to post a Statement of Intent? Likewise, if they are not “sure enough” to post a Statement of Intent, why add to any confusion by having their “ads” up already? Not a major big deal; but, it just seems like it would make more sense to officially declare intent prior to having an “ad” posted… Of course, that’s just my opinion. :slight_smile:

[quote="Nick, post:5, topic:18997"] Running for board is not a small decision and deserves the allowance of time to make it. I don't intend to rush them to the decision. [/quote]

Totally agree! I would not want to vote someone in who isn’t sure that they want to lead our organization. I’m just a bit confused why the “ads” were posted without a firm commitment. Not a deal breaker, just a bit confusing.

[quote="SewingStuff, post:6, topic:18997"] More importantly, are either of you running?

Lisa, make our Makerspace moderate again!
[/quote]

I am running for Infrastructure Chairperson. I do not believe that I have an “ad” up yet; but, will be getting it up tonight while I’m there - since there are multiple members running for the position and Stan already has an “ad” up on the bulletin board stating his intent to run. (I did already post my intent on TALK as well as via e-mail to the Infrastructure committee…).

Thanks! :dms:

Edit to add: I am not trying to suggest in any way that current board members should "hurry and make a decision"... I'm just agreeing that having the "ads" up prematurely (_as in, prior to them making an official commitment via posting their Statements of Intent_) does send mixed feelings. I fully agree that it's an important, and pretty big, decision; and, hope that each person who decides to run for Board does so because they truly want to. :_dms_: :D
1 Like

I think a lot of positions are taken because people feel obligated in some way to take them though. And they do a good job too! I think it’s great to let others have a chance, but I can understand conflicting feelings of wanting a break but also wanting to protect something important to you.

I’m glad you’re running for Infrastructure as one of the more visible moderators. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Many municipalities have an incumbent deadline for announcing they will NOT be running that is a couple of weeks before the deadline for filing. This gives folks time to collect signatures for an open seat. In fact, if the incumbent misses that date and gives notice later, then the filing deadline is extended.

Might be worth considering for future elections.

1 Like

I found that 3 current board members on the bulletin board without statements intent mildly confusing as well. I know they have neither confirmed nor denied running again. It’s up to them to wait until the filing deadline if they so wish. But I think the bulletin board should be concurrent with the statements of intent filed.

Erik has been pretty clear he is not running again. I waffled for awhile but decided that I would like to direct more energy into DMS finance. Doing both BoD and finance is too much time and there is only so much time. Even though it was my own choice to do both, it has impacted my billable time in my own business. Had to pick one and I think finance has a lot of additional room for improvement. We are standing on the shoulders of Paul, Allen, Ben, David K. and others but still a lot to work on.

9 Likes

I have considered filing a statement of negative intent, but some might find that confusing.

8 Likes

If you make it clear enough… “I HAVE NO ******* INTENT WHATSOEVER TO RUN FOR BOARD” hehe… :wink:

3 Likes

Perhaps a statement of moderately hostile intent with malice aforethought would work. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Are you referring to Erik’s unwritten Statement of NON-intent? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yes. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

2 Likes

I see you clarified it… :slight_smile:

'n yeah… that might work… but, then again ~ it could backfire and he might end up back on the Board again ~ which I’m guessing he is not willing to risk… :wink:

3 Likes

Should we put up pictures with a red circle over it?

6 Likes

I agree,
I was more concerned with the info rather than getting yelled down or treated like a troll for demanding some action.

Thing is… No-one is “demanding” anything at all. We are making observations and offering suggestions on how to lessen any potential confusion, etc… :slight_smile:

Suggestions or Questions from me tend to read as demands/trolling for to many on this forum. Just look at the first comment on the thread. :wink:

Once abrasive always a troll in some eyes.