Are acronyms used too often in tech?

I’m glad you bring that up.

What would you suggest would be a good strategy to do technical document for audiences that consist of both are professionals and common hobbyist?

Periodically spell out acronyms, particularly the first time it appears in a document, chapter or any other section which may be read alone.

4 Likes

Yup first iteration has it spelled out after the acronym in parenthesis and best practice is to bold the (first use) acronym for quick reference while reading.

Only acronyms I hate are the ones where someone came up with the word and tried to shoehorn it into an acronym.

3 Likes

Yes. The military has some colorful language but the Navy has the very best.

Russell Ward

1 Like

The Cambrian-level explosion of language that was caused by the internet

1 Like

I write to the lowest denominator. Had a consistent symbol or heading for additional notes for professionals or advance users. I did have an advanced accounting software where I actually had to write separate manuals for the accountant and the daily user, but that was an exception.

And acronyms should be spelled out on first use, but they can still be annoying.

Those have a name too! “Backronyms”

There’s even an initialism for three letter acronyms since they’re so common. TLA = Three Letter Acronym

Bill has it right. Best practice standards—and many popular public style guides— say to spell out the term and put the acronym in parentheses immediately after (no bold required). Subsequent references use the acronym only. Writers that don’t use this practice are creating problems for readers. If there are a lot of terms and acronyms in a large book, then a glossary is recommended.

2 Likes