AR15 Build Class Discussion and Q&A

It is based on what you want. My build will use a match trigger drop in unit, just cause I can. But if your fine with a mil spec, you might be able to find an assembled lower or get the mil spec trigger parts kit. This is solely a preference thing. I think the standard trigger is single stage somewhere between 13 and 15 pound pull. I’ll probably be running a 1.5 pound 2 stage trigger. But this is so light that you will need to warn people before you let them shoot your gun. This is because many people are kind of ham handed when handling a gun and can fire the gun by setting their finger on the trigger too hard. A heavy trigger is safer if you are planning to let others shoot your gun.

Owen please remove your comment. This is a no go topic for the space. Can’t even talk about it without a manufactures license for Dms. It will only bring shit on the committee.

1 Like

Lets say I want to get a single stage Geissele
with a 5 5 or 6 lb trigger if it exists.

Within the context of this class project, would it be better to get a stripped lower and drop it in, or get a mil spec lower and trash the mil spec trigger and install the Geissele?

I bought a geissele 2 stage OEM trigger for $109 + shipping that I really like. It is 4 pounds with a 2 lb first stage and 2 pound final stage.

I also helped a buddy build an AR with a QMS trigger and it was a very nice 4.5 pounds after we changed to a lighter trigger spring. He bought the entire lower parts kit with the QMS trigger and Magpul furniture from Palmetto State Armory so he didn’t have to throw away any parts.

There are lots of options and you don’t have to spend big bucks to get a nice trigger.

The short answer to your question is to get a stripped lower receiver and build it from a lower parts kit so you can get what you want.

Seriously , though, if you don’t want to build it you can get e Ruger with a lot of good stuff and a warranty for close to $500 now.

Lewisville Pawn shop does $10 transfers, by the way. You can get a $ 50 Anderson lower receiver with $10 shipping for a total of $70 and you are on your way!

2 Likes

I think the youtube told me that the Ruger is good but has some proprietary parts. Trying to avoid that. I live near Lewisville, I def. have to check out that pawn shop.

1 Like

Jesus man. A standard AR trigger is about 5 lbs, nowhere near 13-15. I can’t think of any factory gun that comes with a 15 lb trigger. Even the DA pull on revolvers is only about 12 lbs.

1 Like

If your goal is to learn how to gunsmith on an AR, get a stripped lower, a lower parts kit that doesn’t include the trigger, and then go to town. CMMG calls this a “gun builders kit.”

https://www.cmmginc.com/shop/lower-parts-kit-ar15-gun-builders-kit/

Note here is that you’ll have to also get a separate pistol grip and trigger guard, as those are the other 2 most commonly upgraded parts.

All that being said, if you want a 5.5 or 6lb trigger, there’s no reason to spend the bucks on a Geissele. Just use a milspec trigger.

Premium triggers exist because of their safety and customizability at lower pull weights. A 5.5 lb trigger is stock-ish. 6 is heavier than stock.

Geissele and Timney are the brand names of the AR trigger world. If you’re looking for bang for your buck, check out P.O.F., and CMC.

1 Like

I have experienced that the feel of basic parts kits mil spec triggers can be fairly hit and miss. Out of identically labeled kits bought the same day, my wife’s trigger is nice and smooth, and mine is rather gravelly.

There also exist middle ground options like the ALG ACT trigger that is dimensionally a mil spec trigger, but out of higher grade materials, and touts different hardness levels as one of their keys to retaining good feel and not having the hammer and sear slowly gall to each other changing the feel.

If you want to do your first build without having to worry if you have everything, just to learn what everything is, you can buy kits that have everything except the stripped lower, then build with confidence that you haven’t forgotten something.

Runner Runner in Allen usually has reasonably priced kits in stock.

1 Like

So looks like I conflated the new your plus trigger Glock makes, believe it is 13 pounds, with a article talking about military spec for AR 15 trigger being 5 pounds to 9.5 pounds. I think that is the acceptable range for the military to accept it. So the statement of the mil spec trigger being hit or miss, they might of gotten the slightly off tolerance trigger.

Well, kinda. The military doesn’t use a weight gauge to check their triggers. They use a bar with 2 weights: one that makes the assembly weigh 5 lbs, and one that makes it weigh 8.5 lbs.

The 5lb assembly can’t trip it, and the 8.5lb assembly must trip it, so technically, any weight inside that range is considered acceptable.

In practice, almost all guns have a trigger weight of right around 6lbs.

1 Like

Not all of mine. :wink:

Stock S&W Sigma has about 13-14lb trigger. I shot a Ruger .38 a few years ago with a trigger that felt heavier than that.

Fair enough. To be more precise, almost all guns delivered to the US Military have a trigger weight of right around 6lbs. The M16A2/A3 variants are heavier (maybe 6.5lbs), as the 3 round burst mechanism requires more pressure, whereas the M4 variants are right around 6lbs.

Something else to consider is that the true mil-spec variants all have a burst or auto option, and those trigger mechanisms are not the same as the single fire trigger you get in an AR platform, and the FA and burst triggers are heavier and grittier than their comparable single fire brothers. There is only one FA trigger that’s generally available that doesn’t suck, and that’s the SSF from geissele.

And the fact that they charge $400 for it freaking cracks me up. It’s better than the stock trigger by a mile and a half, but I can’t believe that people actually pay it.

The only Sigmas I’ve ever laid my hands upon were ones headed to the evidence locker. But interesting. And terrible.

Even a hi-point is only about 9 (and they wear themselves down to 6 or so in about 500 rounds).

Check out this Colt:

https://www.riflegear.com/p-4474-colt-le6920-oem2-rifle-no-furniture.aspx

Only one left in Plano. Colt is a strong name in the AR world.

Be aware that on the Colt AR platform, if I remember correctly that they use larger take down pins.

That’s actually not that great a deal. CDNN has a 6920 with the furniture, an extra quad rail (likely crap), an extra blackhawk pistol grip, 2 pmags, and a not-to-shabby discrete rifle case for $799.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/colt-le6920-556-m4-carbine-with-quad-rail-and-grip.html

Now, what they also have if you want that magic pony rollmark (and is really perfect for this class) is a couple of builder kits:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/colt-competiton-ar15-build-kit-with-quad-rail.html

https://www.cdnnsports.com/colt-competiton-ar15-build-kit2.html

They provide you everything but the barrel, muzzlebrake, bolt carrier group, charging handle, and magazine.

And if you want to step up into the big leagues:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/colt-ar308-competition-rifle-build-kit.html

Finally, $90 really isn’t a bad deal for a complete BCG, particularly from the pony boys:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/m16-bolt-carrier-group-milspec-ao-precision.html