April 2021 What's Cooking?

Make us drool with your successful dishes. We’ll commiserate with your failures.

Pics/recipes appreciated!

@Team_Admin please sticky.

Howdy!
This actually started yesterday and I made a post at the start, but it didn’t finish up until this morning at 3 a.m. for lunch today…

Out in Jacksboro working on house and the broken truck so I decided to take a break for a bit of fun, LOL!

Loaded pork belly tots made with caramelized onions, red bell pepper and jalapenos, then dusted With my Butt Rub.

8lb Boston butt shoulder roast coated with my butt rub and smoked for 12 hours then pulled.

Warming everything up in smoker this morning. The contents of the bread pan is my barbeque sauce.

BTW…

I’m wondering if somebody made an oopsie while sorting bottles at Pepsi…:joy:

9 Likes

First time I’ve cooked steaks in about a year and a half. Bone-in ribeyes, baked sweet potato, baked beans, and @mrjimmy’s beer bread.

11 Likes

Looks fantastic! Honored my recipe is a side dish to that good looking steak!

2 Likes

Here’s some stuff I made.

10 Likes

Looks fabulous! What’s in the dumplings?

1 Like

Made a batch of tostones (twice fried plantains) to snack on while my pernil is cooking.

8 Likes

LOVE tostones! I’ve been eyeing this recipe for Papas Rellenas, but it looks like so much work. I can’t find a cuban place in town that makes them though.

Easter breakfast. Multigrain pancakes with banana, blueberries, and strawberries, bacon, and fresh coffee.

7 Likes

They are a ton of work, but worth it. Cafe cuba bella on Josey does them we’ll. Definitely worth a try.

1 Like

Just started a pork belly on its magical journey to the ambrosia that we mortals call bacon. :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face:

I’ll be massaging and flipping the bags for the next 7-10 days and then it heads into the smoker. I did a sweet and savory slab. Other than measuring the base of salt, sugar, and Instacure #1, I tend to wing it each time with the other flavors that I add. Haven’t made a bad batch yet! :crossed_fingers:

9 Likes

If you want to try something different next time get a navel end brisket and make beef bacon. Oh so Good!!!

I was out of regular bacon, so needed to make some anyways, but oooooohhhhh…I need to try that! :drooling_face: What kind of flavorings would you use on beef and is the process any different? :thinking:

I used this recipe https://jesspryles.com/recipe/beef-bacon/ . It is pretty much the same process and ingredients as regular bacon. Although it is best cut very thin. I did not enjoy the thicker cuts I tried. I just bought a cheap deli slicer to get the thin cuts. Here is a great Texas Monthly article on Beef Bacon by Daniel Vaughan. I do not agree with him that you have to buy a special type of Wagyu bred beef. https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/beef-belly-bacon/

1 Like

Ground pork, napa cabbage, onion, garlic, enoki mushrooms.

1 Like

Sounds fantastic. We really should put together a cookbook from the stuff that gets posted here. :grin:

2 Likes

So I made some delicious kabobs and rice tonight. I randomly found these recipes using Google and they turned out great. Cooked all the kabobs over an open flame and very hot coals. The vegetables are cherry tomatoes, zucchini, onion, and sweet red pepper. I’m definitely making it again! It was better than what I’ve had at restaurants. :drooling_face:

Chicken kabobs (I brined the chicken before marinating it.):

Mediterranean yellow rice:

And the bacon is still chugging away in the refrigerator. It’s definitely curing because they’re both a bit smaller in volume now. :yum:

10 Likes

Spinach tortellini soup. Simple, quick, and tasty.

2 pkgs frozen spinach
3-1/2 cups water
9 oz fresh (not dried) tortellini
1 1.4 oz pkg Knorr veggie soup mix

Prep spinach in microwave while remaining ingredients heat in a big pot over high heat on stove.

Being to a boil. Boil a few (2-3) mins.

Add spinach and stir well.

Return to boil until pasta is cooked.

Add some Parmesan cheese.

Serve with rustic, crusty bread for dipping.

Option: use creamed spinach for a creamier soup.

7 Likes

Pizza grilled cheese for a quick lunch…

Caramelized onions, red bell pepper, hot Italian sausage, mushrooms and pepperoni with mozzarella and provolone cheese made on Sara Lee low-carb bread for a grand total of 15 carbs for the entire sandwich.

6 Likes