April 2018 Kiln News

Glaze kiln was unloaded. There were a couple of unexpected runners.

@meanbaby is loaded the big kiln with glaze tonight. Tomorrow I’m going to load the small kiln with the rest of the glaze items and run it. I’ll assess the greenware for bisque then. There are some items left, but there weren’t quite enough for even the small kiln when I was unloading.

3 Likes

Got the small kiln loaded up with glazed items this afternoon. There are still 3 pieces left. I’ve realized that someone expected that the train ornament would get put on a rack, since it’s got glaze on all sides. I’ll figure that out the next time. There just wasn’t enough room in the kiln for the other two bowls.

I didn’t really look at the greenware shelves. I’ll be here most of the day Thursday, and I see if we’ve got enough to fire.

3 Likes

That glaze kiln was unloaded. I’ve got a request to load glaze again, with some big items that will fill the kiln. I’ll probably load another glaze tomorrow, and then at least the small kiln with bisque, so as not to delay the bisque too much.

One cookie bit stuck to a bowl with a very shallow rake, and a tiny foot. AND – glaze inside the foot, so that the normal cookies would stick to the bottom. Folks with odd pieces like this might consider throwing/cutting cookies that fit under their pieces in such a way that the cookie only touches the unglazed area.

3 Likes

Loaded up the big kiln with glazed items. Since our big kiln is not so big, there’s a big bowl that didn’t want to fit the space that was left. And, the glazed-on-all-sides train is waiting for either some other pendants, or a light load that would be reasonable to use the pendant stand for one piece.

I’ll be loading the small kiln with some bisque tomorrow, in an effort to get some of the older pieces fired. Then, depending on what’s on the shelf when that comes out, either another small kiln of bisque, or the big kiln.

5 Likes

Glaze kiln was unloaded. I realized yesterday that the big kiln would be open, so I put off the small load. There was too much chit-chat, so I ran out of time to load bisque. I’ll do that tomorrow.

2 Likes

Finally squished out some time to load bisque last night. There was a medium amount of stuff left. Some of that was still damp, so there may not be enough dry to make a load in the small kiln tonight. I’ll be checking in a couple of minutes.

One of the marbled slip cups had developed a crack. I’m going to put a note in it. If it were mine, I’d be trying some more slip to see if the crack could be mended. Slip usually works for me in these cases. If the person were concerned about the potential for more cracking, though, and just liked the look, they might want it fired as-is.

2 Likes

Mine. Thank you for setting it aside. I did my best to mend the crack then put it in section 2.

1 Like

Loaded another kiln of bisque. The things that are left on the shelf were too damp, too tall, and a couple of cracked pieces.

I’ll load glaze Monday night when I get back from Scarborough.

4 Likes

Bisque is unloaded. Please stop by and pick up your stuff the shelves are full

6 Likes

Loaded glaze tonight. While the kiln was full, several pieces were passed over because they had glaze on the bottom. Since there was plenty to fill the kiln, those pieces were left. However, there are also several pieces that are fine – there just wasn’t room.

3 Likes

Opened up the glaze kiln. Virtually everything came out okay. One big piece was glazed too close to the edge and stuck. One of the slip cups (he already knows about this) had cracked. The rest looks fine! @coffeebean – you got the buttons, and a cup, and the coffee canister, and a couple of … mini-planters?

Tomorrow I’ll put some kiln wash on the shelves, and probably load up some bisque. Current plan is for tonight’s class pieces to get fired Monday. So, if you’re busy this weekend, and your pieces are thin enough to dry by Monday, they can still get fired then.

8 Likes

I believe so. Did any of them stick :frowning:

All of yours were just fine!

Loaded bisque. Many things weren’t dry. And I had thought there was more because there were so many works-in-progress on the wrong shelves. I’ll be working on clearing up some space Monday pm.

3 Likes

Bisque is unloaded, shelves are full please stop by and pick up your items.

3 Likes