AO-73 (Funcube-1) Telemetry and Fucube Dongle Pro+

I was toying around a bit with my FCDP+ last night and managed to capture a few minutes of AO-73’s telemetry. This was received indoors, with a folded dipole made out of 1/2" copper water pipe. More gain and a proper LNA would improve signal strength. (Still wondering where all those spurs are coming from. Might be my PC!)

Screenshot of baudline’s FFT output:

3 Likes

I’m slowly figuring out Baudline (and thinking I might write an open-source clone, as I’m not impressed with the lack of extensions and UI design). Here’s another AO-73 recording using my folded copper-pipe dipole, indoors in my office over the garage.

1 Like

Here’s a RadCom article titled “Getting started on amateur radio satellites”. Great reading for those who are not familiar with this fascinating aspect of amateur radio!

Have you tried using a USB extension cable to get the FCDP away from the computer chassis? If you have some snap-on ferrites that might be a thing to try too…

I have an old USRP in the closet that might be fun to mess around with…as soon as I get the time…*

*lol

Oh yeah, except that NI bought the company that makes it. (seriously)

Ugh. f**ing NI.

The tones appear to be real signals. Terminating the input with a 50 ohm SMA terminator makes them disappear.

Yeah, but they might be signals that fall off with r^3 as you get away from the computer chassis!

Terminating the input also doesn’t guarantee it’s not leaking in over the power and coupling across to the input, since you’d be killing any signals with the terminator…