Anyone with experience on CRT monitors

So I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with CRT television monitors specifically those old Sony Trinitron ones used for video editing and by old news companies that have a niche for their scan lines in retrogaming today. I was going through a swap event for different goods and knew the prices of what I was looking for but knew next to nothing about the pricing or mechanics of these monitors. I’ve played on them and watched a couple videos on their quality and how they work enough to want one, but was curious if anyone here has any expertise on what the price range for one of these would be or if its possible to work on one as a side project to refurbish. I know these monitors parts are old and potentially dangerous for the voltages, so I understand if I need some humbling and told if it’s a non-viable fix. Seller said that monitor had been working a day or two ago with only problem being heated air on the rear side and slight color issues just specifically on green appearing saturated, though now wouldn’t turn on now. I’m thinking maybe it’s just a loose connection or bad solder but I don’t know where to even begin inspecting it or even on an offer on it for slightly broken, or what questions to even ask about it. Any input would be appreciated. Just trying to get information to form a reply.

The Sony monitors are hard to get parts for.

I have three PVM- 8042Q and one PVM-9L2 Sony Triniton Color Monitors, you can have your choice. These are 8 inch diagonal screens and yhey can switch between 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratio, 16:9 is HDTV size. The price is right, free.

2 Likes

I have an IBM 25" square big ass studio monitor from about 1995, still. Just come and get it.

jeez, that’s beyond amazing to see and really thanks for the gesture. Though it just hit me after realizing, that I’m no longer in Texas anymore since I just got started working in Virginia, which makes me sad seeing this. I guess check which of the monitors works and has the best color, and just can you hold onto one until Thanksgiving when I can make it for a weekend visit sometime before then. Cause otherwise I would have to pay you for trouble of packaging and shipping somethings that both heavy and fragile, and don’t know if that’d be too much of a burden to ask.

I take it’s not going anywhere soon and turns on? If you got a pic to show, I can come when I’m back in town in a month or two.

That’s what the Dallas Makerspace is all about . . . helping out those that need it. No problem holding onto them till the Thanksgiving time period. In the meantime I’ll power them up and see which ones work the best. It may take some time to get the photos.

2 Likes

It might be helpful to factor in electronic disposal fees. If it breaks, depending on the municipality, it might generate a fee from the city.

Your mileage may vary.

I wouldn’t worry about disposal fees on the Sony PVM/BVM studio monitors with RGB inputs. Working or not, they command a hefty price nowadays.

Don’t mean to revive an old post, but do you have any of the 8042Q’s left? I’m looking for one.

Spencleb, did you ever manage to get the BVM-1911 working? I would gladly buy it from you if you still have it. I would definitely love to fix this up!

Again, sorry about reviving an older post. Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

1 Like

I just moved everything to Knoxville TN. I believe that I gave away 3 of those monitors. Do do recall which one I kept for myself. Sorry.

1 Like