Anyone to teach (advanced) wire wrap (jewelry)?

I desperately would like to make a bracelet, something like this one that has captured my attention. (Credit: hyppiechic on deviant art).

I have some wire wrap experience (and silver solder), but this one is beyond me. I’m willing to make it several times in order to get it right.

Anyone willing to teach? I’m also very open to (paid) one-on-one.

2 Likes

The lady who does the fiber night does some really pretty wire wrapped stuff. Like she runs a business doing it. So probably if you show up on a Tuesday evening you could probably get her to hook you up with some lessons.

Is that Jeannie @kyrithia ?

2 Likes

Yes! I’m so bad with Talk handles and names in general, but she does make some lovely stuff.

1 Like

Katiri Peters @Kati would also be a good person to ask.

2 Likes

Hi John,

I can help teach you this project. Jeannie Harwell (kyrithia) is also an amazing wire wrapper who could teach you this too!

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes :). Thanks, Joseph :slight_smile:

Was I the only one that first thought this was in the wrong topic category (Electronics)?

3 Likes

No, you were not. I was excited at first. Figured someone was going to teach these young wipper snappers…

4 Likes

And here I sit with 2 HUGE rolls of 30ga Kynar wire. I use it for patching damaged traces on PCBs.

I also misuse green fingernail polish to tack down the Kynar wire. It makes for a nicer looking repair than using hot glue. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Mmmm, wire wrap… :smiley:

4 Likes

Jeannie was actually talking about teaching a class on wire-wrap, but she may have gotten bogged down in the holidays. I’m not sure when she ramps up production for Scarborough, either…

1 Like

Kateri and I had been talking together about teaching wirewrap (we both can do advanced in our styles).

It has stalled a little with some of the transitionary stuff happening this fall, plus we need to order some specific tools for more than basics. My personal schedule is going through some transitions as well (looking for weekday job) so I have hesitated requesting a tool buy based on my part of a commitment to teach if we got them only to get a job that might interfere. But if we had the right tools there, I’m fine teaching if I didn’t worry about pushing a tool buy then not being able to follow through if my schedule changes. On the good side, there’s two of us willing to teach, and enough difference it’s not duplicative and it wouldn’t saturate with too many classes either since we both have other stuff going to juggle.

Anyway Kateri and I had figured out some good offerings. I’ve just drug my feet over the fall transition stuff (better now) and my potential schedule changes. If we had the tools, I’d teach though.

My style (dig through photos)

Re bracelet above…while I don’t encourage copying another artist (and I’m sure you wouldn’t), @John_Marlow the construction on the bracelet above is pretty straightforward and a combination of about three different construction techniques and would not be that fiddly to use as inspiration for your version once you learn the techniques. In other words, very doable in the end

1 Like

I have been drooling over the wonderful pieces on your facebook page! You are so talented, and your work is beautiful.

Are you and/or Kateri still thinking about teaching something? I have done some very rudimentary wire wrap, so I may have (at least some of) the necessary tools.

EDIT: I forgot to say … you’re right. I wouldn’t copy the other artist’s work. And I would be deluding myself if I thought I could. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In the air right now, mainly depends on two things for me:

1. I’m looking for job and what I wind up with as schedule
  2. need the right tools

Thanks for the kind words re my jewelry :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great! We’ll work on getting some wire wrapping classes going soon! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any plans in early 2017 for this to be open to the membership? I am sure my wife would love to learn this stuff (I’ve seen what she has ordered on Amazon.com, this lines up well)

• Doug Emes
2 Likes

Hi!

Yes :). We’ll be setting up a series of wire wrapping classes :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Kati

2 Likes

I’m game. Just need to coordinate with @Kati and @nausser915 for some tools we need. Katiri and I have done some planning earlier fall, have a nice mix of things we teach, and after the holidays, maybe we can get things rolling again.

1 Like

What tools do we need? I’m always game to increase my tool stash.

Dear Santa …

:santa:

2 Likes