Anyone there tonight Thursday?

I want to learn stitching. I would like to make a pouch for a utility belt to use for costume and/or purposeful outdoor adventures. I have some tanned leather in a few colors and some tools. I did some hand stitching/sewing many years ago; but would be nice to learn an actual stitch not just wrapping thread in any old fashion. I work on the weekends and can’t make the classes. I have some experience with doing snaps and rivets and have the tools…just can’t do that for everything

don’t forget there are lots of HANDSTITCHING LEATHER videos on youtube

2 Likes

I just got my latest Make: magazine in the mail and there’s a primer on hand-stitching. Their web site makezine.com has several leather how-to’s.

1 Like

My wife did some of the hand stitching by watching those videos. I, for one, could not stay awake. Lol

2 Likes

Thanks you @nicksilva @jswilson64 I got a leather sewing awl and the instruction are not good and the hand-drawn pictures hard to decipher

@TBJK Haha, that will be the challenge for me too I’m sure :wink:

Have you taken the Leatherworking Basics class yet? Our tools can EASILY be trashed using them incorrectly which is why we have that class and training requirement. 3 classes in January taught hand stitching, but I know they filled up quickly.

Stitching with an awl is a bit trickier than the way most Americans do it now. Traditionally, European leatherworkers still use a pricking iron and a stabbing awl and then a needle to hand sew and yes, stabbing awls do just that - whether it’s the leather or you. We don’t have those tools at DMS. Instead, you can use an overstitch wheel to mark your stitches and then a SpeedyStitcher to punch your holes and sew or opt for a stitching chisel and needle set up. We do have stitching ponies. I don’t know what videos you’re watching, but yes, the technique of hand stitching isn’t terribly difficult, to learn but takes a little bit to master your tension and getting the stitches to lay properly where you have the overstep on both sides for a saddle stitch vs it looking like a running stitch.

If you can’t tell a stitching chisel from a lacing chisel or a scratch awl from a stabbing awl from a diamond awl from a fid, please wait to get some help.

If you’re already checked out on Basics and use the hand sewing stuff at DMS, please remember to contribute for consumables. We have Ritza 25 Tiger Thread in a couple of sizes and colors. 15 yds/$1.

There is a Basics class on the 28th and I’ll be glad to hang around afterward and give you a hand.

1 Like

Whoops, I see you work on the weekends…PM me with your availability and we can work something out if you don’t get something going in the meantime.

1 Like