Anyone know where I can take this to live as gun range target

3 posts were split to a new topic: Car for Shawn’s Friend

The right front wheel is actually sliced open and separated from rim. However, it still starts and runs and amazingly no leaks from radiator or A/C … so if you want a project car, good with sheet meatl, I’ll put you in contact with USAA.

1 Like

Got to love crumple zones… is everyone involved ok?

1 Like

No injuries.

Yes sir, the car crumbled and guard rails did their job dissipating energy (one of the large wood uprights on guard rail snapped). You can see where the cross beam in the door kept it from intruding further into - into me. (F250 did this). It was an intense 3 or 4 seconds of my life - what amazed me is airbag didn’t go off when I hit the guardrail, guess it wasn’t straight enough deploy.

Initial impact was at about 55-60 mph

1 Like

guess it wasn’t straight enough deploy.

Yeah that or it was the speed.

Either way I’m glad to hear that everyone is ok. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Everyone missed their chance at this challenging project car … it was towed away, I now have space in my driveway. Just the lone Rabbit, that over heats.

3 Likes

Time to dust off a really old joke from when our Cutlass sedan got T-boned.

You now have a 2-door SUV. Unfortunately, both doors are on the same side.

4 Likes

Was?!?
Overheats?
Why?
Them’re easy peasy to fix…

Most likely a head gasket. Working with Tom Tansey for advice and mentoring as he knows these critters. Has even offered to trailer it to the Space (Although I think I can make it - first will try the obvious of replacing thermostat. Have new one on my desk, O-ring and the housing it bolts on with it $4 so why bother worrying about corrosion, etc.) I’ve rebuilt several cars - but always had another to drive.

Would like to get a beater in mean time, will be looking at the PT Cruiser Dwight has. He says it needs radiator replaced, maybe water pump. If that’s all then I 'll go for it. Will look at it on Wednesday. Still want the VW up and running, fun car to drive.

1 Like

David,
send me a text message - I may have temporary short term transportation for you

2 Likes

Those cars have small radiators and tend to overheat. You better make sure your radiator isn’t clogged up with scale and that you have a good water pump with an intact impeller on it.

Oh, and a decent thermostat.

1 Like

those cars have small radiators because they have small engines and are small cars…1.8 na is not a rocket nor the size of a 59 caddy. The size of the radiator is not the cause of overheating. A cooling component (lack of cooling in this case) or related item has failed.

The water pump on that model / engine never had the ridiculous non metallic impeller like soooooo many other vehicles did in later years.

David,
If you want to risk driving it (I don’t recommend it) then I suggest you remove the thermostat and leave it out, put the new oring and the cover back on the bottom of the water pump (fill it with coolant or water) and then attempt the drive.

I have about 40 of those o rings so a new one is not far away.

Ok, it’s up for grabs.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F322949479005

1 Like

I had already ordered a new thermostat, easiest failure mode to eliminate. Got 180F vs OEM 192F. New O-ring, and new housing elbow just encase it is corroded or pitted badly (for $3 I figure why wait if I need it).

I test drive it for about 5 minutes till it warm and idles smooth then let it run for 15 minutes. Fan is cycling, is not going past normal operating temp and oil temp staying well in normal range, so will try without thremo. So far has not overheated - but will replace thremo just in case.

1 Like

Just saw Luke Strickland out is shop testing coolant system for head gasket leak. I now know how to use this tool, will get the Allenmobile up here tomorrow or Friday and do a definitive test.

It is so cool to have access to tools!

1 Like

I’ll be by thurs with acrylic for the media cabinet and other things

I’ll look for you

1 Like

Why did I never think of it… http://www.kera.org/donate/vehicle/ PBS is always looking for cars to auction and give a tax write off.

1 Like

Tons of charities interested in cars.
Many already named above. This is the one that always pops into my head, not that I’m championing it. Just that it was prolific in recent history. Dale Hansen, and all. Whom I am also not championing. Obnoxious so-and-so. Like most sports casters.

This is how I usually get rid of my (very) old cars.