Anyone know what causes this particular failure?

Anyone know what might cause this particular failure when 3d printing? I tried 2 or 3 prints last night and all three had the first layer immediately start flaking like this, which I’ve never seen before.

I’ve got no idea what’s actually causing it though. It was raining last night, but I’ve literally never lost a print to weather-related conditions before so I don’t know if that plays in. I don’t know if it’s a bad setting in the 508 or if my filament is damaged in some way or if I messed something up with the slicing. I’d thought the issue was layer thickness but I’ve determined via trial and error it wasn’t. If anyone has any guesses as to what might have caused this, I’d appreciate it very much.

My guess is nozzle temperature.

Is that ABS?

1 Like

Yes, it’s standard abs filament like I’ve always used here.

I did notice for some reason the nozzle temp would start at 250 and then once I ran the job it’d go to 265. I don’t know if that’d have this type of effect though?

A lower standby temperature is normal - helps prevent burning up the filament when not printing. Lowering the temperature after printing a couple of layers is also normal - a hotter first layer helps with adhesion. Looking at the comments at the front of I gcode file I generated with KISSSlicer a while ago, I can see four temperature-related parameters which the PolyPrinters use:

; temperature_C = 250
; keep_warm_C = 180
; first_layer_C = 260
; bed_C = 110
; chamber_C = 50

Makes sense. I’ve noticed it a lot. I didn’t think it was related. I was just more like “could this be anything at all?”

But I don’t think it’s that. I just have never seen this particular failure before and so I don’t have any idea what I can do to fix it. But if the first layer doesn’t lay flat I literally can’t print anything on it, so it’s like, ??? lol

Which printer? Just 90 (the 508 printer)?

Yeah. The job does need to be on the 508. I probably should have tried to do a different print with the roll I had on like 91, or try and start my long print with a different roll of filament to test it that way. I just didn’t think to at the time (I was fried after 4 hours of teaching, tbh)

that’s how it’s supposed to work for first layer.

it looks like the z is adjusted too high and isn’t squishing your prints down to the bed. or it’s too low. honestly it’s hard to tell from the picture, but the lack of serrated edges makes me think too high.

OR. the nozzle is crooked due to stripped threads causing it to force the plastic out at a weird angle.

4 Likes

This. If you zoom in it looks like this.

Any idea how to fix it?

alert ye olde @Team_3D_Fab and they should be able to resolve it

Poor bed adhesion due to too-tall Z-bed height (probable), too low bed temp (assuming it’s not the 110C default), or both.

Z issue is most likely since that can drift with use, while the temp issue would require a conscious change of settings.

Makes sense to me. So if I go back up there tomorrow and determine that it’s all filament doing this and all prints and it’s probably a Z bed height issue, is that something I can fix on my own or does the 508 need maintenance to fix it?

Anybody have any information for me here?

I wonder if @Evan_Lott could give you some guidance??

Looks like you called it!

Hard to tell from the photos, but the nozzle is indeed bent and extruding at an angle.