Anyone interested in polymer clay classes?

Hasn’t been one yet. Y’all are more than welcome to create one. There’s no requirement to have a wiki page for interest groups, but it’s encouraged.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Category:Interest_Groups

Food for thought: Don’t forget that any classes that teach a skill, etc may be potentially eligible for honorarium… Work days, not so much.

Following up what Lisa said, if it teaches a skill and can be a class, thus eligible for honorarium, that can benefit a department (thus more tools/supplies) since part of honorarium is assigned to a department. If the teacher chooses, they can either keep their part (some use to at least offset membership cost) or assign to the department as well. So a successful class potentially adds $50-100 to a department’s budget, which in turn is used for tools, supplies, growth.

Workgroups have value for personal projects and inspiration and help, but classes help sustain the department, go towards buying tools and materials, etc.

As an example, we do a mix of classes and worknights in Fiberarts. That model has worked well because they feed into each other. Worknights and seeing what folks are working on or could use help with have been the seed of “hey we could use a class in this” and seeing who could teach what. Classes expand skills, then worknights support using those and help with new skills. It’s a circle.

And regardless of whether it’s a class (honorarium if it meets requirements) or event (worknight, non-honorarium), it’s a good idea to submit it to calendar so that the word gets out (definitely a lot of folks don’t get on talk). Another good place to spread word and garner interest is the fb group “Dallas Makerspace Creative Arts”

I mention all this since y’all said you’re new. If you get interested in putting together a class, lemme know and I’m happy to walk you through the process (I coordinate the Fiberarts ones).

2 Likes

Yes, if the two of us find a good time, I’ll figure out how to put it to the calendar for everyone to see. But I’m learning it’s got to start somewhere, and two people who can agree on a time is a really big deal!

Polymer clay is more of a “do it” than a “teach it.” A polymer equivalent to a regular stitching event would be a lot of fun.

3 Likes

So for a coordinated work session, if you want it on calendar to help spread the word, it’s easy. Just go to the event calendar, log in, and add it. You’d choose “event” as the type, then just go down and fill in the rest. That simple. It can take a couple days for an event to show (approvals).

1 Like

If you want to setup a clay please do so. Sewingstuff is no longer active at the space so take up some initiative and plan some fun. Let me know if you need items.

Waiting to hear back from @sunshine before anything goes to the calendar.

1 Like

Let’s do it! :smiley: I’m currently looking for inspiration on things to make in PC.

What time should we meet?

(The 20 character minimum wins again.)

How does 12:30pm sound? That way if we finish by 3/4pm I can still beat traffic home lol

1 Like

Could you guys possibly start your own thread? I get a notification every time someone posts here, and I’m no longer interested in teaching this class.

Sure! Sorry to take over your thread

1 Like

So they don’t have to start over, and so others know how to do this… You can always “mute” the thread:

2 Likes

I’ll take that as word we can continue here for now. I’ll make a stab at the calendar next.

Awesome, thank you! `````

Yeah I’ve now disabled email notifications too, among other things, since necroing threads is an accepted practice here.

I’ve created a separate thread in Interest Groups so we could get the word out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

…not only accepted; but, practically encouraged - so we don’t have to repeat everything over and over again… :wink:

Thx!
:slight_smile:

Awesome ~ Thanks! :smiley:

Wait!!! I had March 7.

That’s what I just submitted.

No worries! March 7th works too