Anyone interested in High Performance Driving Basics class?

Got cones
Got big lot
Sign multi pg multi sig waiver/release forms
Throttle up
What could possibly go wrong here?

On a more serious note
A possibility here would be to contact a local autocross group. Equipe Rapide comes to mind.

http://www.autocross.com/er/equiperapide/modules/content/index.php?id=10

You might also look into North Texas Autocross Series.

If I recall correctly (I haven’t seriously done AutoX in 10 years), ER has a two-day AutoX school, including one day of classroom education and one day of racing (in your own car). I wonder if one of their instructors would be willing to hold the classroom portion at DMS (last time I took the class, we used a room at the HEB football field in Euless, which was conveniently located next to the HEB football field parking lot where we did our driving).

That’s not far from how it happens. Just need permission from the property owner and appropriate insurance. Note that insurance rates are up after an unfortunate event last year (or was that two years ago?, I don’t AutoX much anymore).

Alternatively, most AutoX events allow passengers, who are often instructing in some capacity. I don’t believe there are any rules on who can and cannot provide instruction, just need a helmet. If anyone would like, I’d be happy to ride along with them at an event, though I suck at AutoX.

Understood.
A class room session won’t impart the experience aspect of the theory but it will impart some knowledge, and it’s a start.

@breckenedge
Yup, an enclosed property with a training course marked out would all be that’s needed.
Speeds don’t need to be “stupid fast” to learn the nuances either.

@Awesomer
Kindly remove the video link.
Thank you
:smile:

Anybody up for making a 3 or 4 actuator linear motion actuator simulator?
I tried one of them(3 actuator) some years ago from a Singapore based company that sold the actuators.
It was convincing enough and relatively cheap. :heart_eyes:

@Ferman Integra guy here. Please keep be abreast of any developments in this class, be it via verbial instruction or otherwise.

Drivers operating in “ludicrous mode”. Cars not so much. :laughing:

1 Like

Not clear to me why there is not a zero tolerance policy on this? It is certainly not a surprise to any licensed adult driver that drag racing ANYWHERE other than a drag racing track is illegal. And there can’t be that many Tesla owners in the DMS membership, such that identifying these jokers shouldn’t be a problem either. Their behavior, including the idiotic move of posting the video(s) to social media where it will now live forever, has put whole DMS mission at risk.

This also raises the question why a 401©(3) organization with a making and/or community education mission provides a Tesla battery charging station at all? Other than educating people on how to give away large amounts of free electricity, how does this help us fulfill any part of the DMS mission? (not that the charging station is necessarily a proximate cause of the drag racing incident(s)).

We had been having electric car meetup groups meet at DMS. also important is we did not pay for the charger.
Finally Large is way to strong of word the cost is approx $5 to fill a Full battery of a XL Tesla battery. Majority of drivers don’t drive on an empty tank as they say so were talking $1-$3 per charge.

1 Like

The times that I have seen people using the charging stations, they have generally donated far in excess of the cost of using the stations.

Info about how/why we have EV charging stations at the space can be found here: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Monetary_Ln_EV_Charger_TaskForce#Working_topics

2 Likes

@StanSimmons

I found this part of the wiki a little ironic

after seeing this posting https://youtu.be/IgrHkw_Y3N8

:smile:

You have to admit that racing an electric car is much more environmentally friendly than racing on dead dinosaurs. :wink:

Racing in a parking lot is stupid, but it is stupid no matter what vehicle you use.

3 Likes

While I will agree it is very likely more efficient (I don’t pretend to know these things), they generate electricity from dead dinosaurs:
http://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=TX

I believe DMS’s electricity comes from 100% renewable resources (or at least it did). When I charge my car at home, I get my power from solar on my roof.

3 Likes

An interesting tidbit that I’ve been told is that the electricity used to turn crude oil into a gallon of gasoline will push an electric car further than that gallon will push an ICE car. Think about that one for a bit. :wink:

1 Like

I am put in mind of the Royal Society’s motto

2 Likes

I tend to agree with that sentiment. and that is why I didn’t state it as a fact.

I found the source, and I thought that you might be interested in the following video, the salient 5.5 minute segment is from 54:39 thru 1:00:00. The video (like most of Jack Rickard’s videos) is over 1.5 hours, and has good information sprinkled throughout.

1 Like

Looks like my date night plans this week are set, then.

1 Like

Back to the original topic

Is the classroom component of this still being looked at?

Yes. Just finding time to put together a presentation.

Thanks for the interest.[quote=“slinkygn, post:40, topic:6111, full:true”]
Back to the original topic

Is the classroom component of this still being looked at?
[/quote]

1 Like