Anyone interested in a crypto currency SIG?

With Ethereum crypto currency going crazy in 2017, my interest in crypto currency has increased.

Anyone want to get together and talk about it? At least once, probably monthly.

1 Like

Not enough :heartbeat: and +1s can go around for this. Yes and yes.

FYI there is a cluster being built in the museum and personal I’ve been exploring blockchain and dht technology for building private networks of peerless embedded systems.

When and which days are you thinking the meetings would be?

I was getting a temperature check for interest.

My Sundays are usually good.

I have negative days of Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, currently.

Cryptocurrency is a very interesting topic!

I recently listened to a very good podcast that Tim Ferriss did with Nick Szabo (The Master of Cryptocurrency).

I recommend anyone that has an interesting in cryptocurrency, to listen to the podcast!

Below is an overview and link to the podcast -

“Trusted third parties are security holes.”
– Nick Szabo

Nick Szabo (@NickSzabo4) is a polymath. The breadth and depth of his interests and knowledge are truly astounding.

He’s a computer scientist, legal scholar, and cryptographer best known for his pioneering research in digital contracts and cryptocurrency.

The phrase and concept of “smart contracts” were developed by Nick with the goal of bringing what he calls the “highly evolved” practices of contract law and practice for the design of electronic commerce protocols between strangers on the Internet. Nick also designed Bit Gold, which many consider the precursor to Bitcoin.

This wide-ranging conversation is co-hosted by Naval Ravikant, a mutual friend and one of the most successful investors in Silicon Valley, who also happens to be one of Nick’s biggest admirers.

We cover a lot, including:

What is Bitcoin, what are cryptocurrencies, and what problem do they solve?
What is “social scalability?”
What is Ethereum and what makes it unique? Strengths and weaknesses?
How will smart contracts actually get adopted or go mainstream?
What are ICOs (Initial Coin Offerings)?
Blockchain governance — is there any existential risk?
“Wet” versus “dry” code
Pascal’s scams
Quantum thought
What fields will you be working on in the future?

Link to the podcast

Dwight and I are going to grab an hour on Thursday to chew the fat on Crypto Currently.

I am on tour duty from 7-9pm.

All are welcome. (Where ever it is and whatever time…lol.)

Just curious if this is intentionally uncategorized, so I figured I’d ask…
Then I’m forced to ask the follow up: you know you’d get more eyes on these threads if you put them in a category, so they’ll show up in the “latest” view?
Which I assume is rhetorical, because OF COURSE you know this.
But I had to ask.
Thank you for bearing with me.

Unless @Diplomat has any ideas on this I’d suggest we move it under since we’re the committee backing this SIG at this time.

It would be great to increase the scope of the discussion group / SIG, to discussing the overall Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) and drilling down.

1 Like

I’m a CA Cert assurer so I’d love to go into how to setup as a certificate authority and how the technology works. Also be glad to sign gpg keys or give anyone that comes an invite code for keybase.io

1 Like

@Diplomat I may have tracked down a lead. We’ll talk more offline and after I’ve paid them a visit.

https://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/53013.wss