Anyone here better than this guy using a bump stock?

How about rapid fire without a bump stock?

1 Like

Nope. Jerry is the fastest shooter in the world.

Apparently not with a bump stock ā€¦ :wink: But to be fair it did look like the gun has some issues

Seriously! I donā€™t recall ever having my AR jam, much less every fifth shot.

1 Like

Occasionally would jam, but if one ever had that much trouble the armorer would get rid of it. Most problems were associated with putting all 20 rounds in magazine, first one or two might stick, usually just put 18 in and no problem. Of course that was with Viet-nam era magazines

Bump stocks are a legal and mechanical hack. Legal hack in the sense that it does allow for a single apparent pull of the trigger to produce multiple shots which were reluctantly ruled not a machine gun after being initially designated as such. Mechanical hack in the sense that is abuses the rifleā€™s design premise that it will remain relatively stationary during the firing cycle, reciprocating the rifle itself to achieve trigger reset; this seems to eat into the reliability margin.

Iā€™ve never seen bumpstock-fit ARā€™s operate consistently. The cyclic rate is weird, grouping is terrible, and jams are more likely as a result of their mode of operation. They just donā€™t seem like a particularly good idea and I have no interest in owning one.

1 Like

Yep. The reload at at the end is ridiculous fast:

1 Like

Groupings in full auto mode are hard, the barrel tends to ride up. But then again, the purpose of Full Auto is to make up in volume what canā€™t be achieved with precision or skill.

I admit, the first time I emptied a full 20 round magazine with one squeeze of the trigger was impressive, especially when thereā€™s a line of 40 of you doing it all at once. On the command of ā€œCommence Fireā€ in about 1.5 seconds 800 rounds are fired.

1 Like

Not anymore:

Iā€™m betting that wont hold true.

Weā€™ll see when the lawsuits go to trial. This one may eventually have to be decided by SCOTUS.

In a recent thread, the topic of firing a pistol held horizontally gangsta-style came up.

It turns out that when firing a full-auto handgun, a conventionally held gun tends to shoot above the heads of the intended target. Holding it horizontally allows using muzzle climb to spray across the target.

I prefaced as past tense, aware of the BATFEā€™s now full 360Ā° gyration on the issue.

Mechanically, a bumpstock will ā€œjamā€ when forward pressure on the handguard is not sufficient to complete the cycle of firing. They are supremely unreliable devices.

With practice, you can bump fire any firearm with no mechanical help. Or tie a shoelace on an M14. The ATF at one point held that possession of a shoelace and M14 was constructive possession of a machine gun. Or rubber bands. Any mechanical means of keeping forward pressure on the trigger while you press rearward will induce a bump fire.

There is a place for full auto fire, and as I was a machine gunner in the Army, I love it. Gaining fire superiority and improving hit probability by creating a ā€œbeaten zoneā€ around the target. A good gunner will have a beaten zone of 5 meters (caused by the recoil and movement of the machine gun while firing) with a 6-9 round burst. At distance, and because rounds move in an arc, this will create a zone where a bullet is impacting everywhere a human could be. Often referred to as the ā€œcone of deathā€. In gun lines, FA is used to gain fire superiority and fix a target in place and enable a maneuver element to flank this fixed target. This, however, is accomplished with bipod or tripod stabilized belt fed machine guns.

A lot of money has also been poured into developing firearms for infantry which fire 2-3 round bursts before the recoil of the firearm disturbs the shooterā€™s aim. For a really fun look at the mechanical complexity of such firearms, look up forgotten weaponā€™s video on the AN-94 Nimarov and the HK G11.

I personally want to own a lightweight beltfed machine gun for hog hunting, and because I love machine gunning.

Boy howdy did they sink a lot of money into the G11 program - small wonder the episode is titled ā€œKraut Space Magicā€: single-impulse 3rd burst and caseless ammunition.

Itā€™s somewhat less than surprising that the concept didnā€™t quite make it. Thatā€™s a frighteningly complex mechanism alongside the huge uncertainties that caseless introduces. 40 years later we donā€™t even seem to be using caseless rounds on aircraft or other situations where the munitions can be protected from environmental conditions, handled by technicians, and kept under more controlled conditions than an infantry weapon.

When at Ft Knox, home of Armor School, they were testing some rounds where the casing was consumed when the gun was fired so the empties didnā€™t clutter the turret. One issue was evacuating the some of the residual gases. Donā€™t know what ever became of it.

@matthshooter Was it the M60? Impressive weapon, especially with interlocking fields of fire and tracers bouncing all around. The .50 cal is awesome in the destructive power and types of rounds available. The SAW was decade after me. Later versions of the M16 had the 3 rd burst mode, not sure they still have that.

M60 came way before my time - we were running the M240B and then made the transition to the M240L (titanium receiver).

Most guys use M4ā€™s or the M4A1 (the carbine version of the M16). The A1 variant was specā€™d to have a FA trigger to make it easier to shoot (the cam on the 3 round burst causes 3 different trigger pull weights), but most have the 3 round burst.

The SAW is hot garbage. My hatred for that weapon is matched only by my hatred for shotguns.

They have a new .338 Norma round that is meant to replace the M2 .50 cal - itā€™s a frickin laser beam that has better ballistics on paper than the .50 cal. Plastic cases instead of brass ones too.

Caseless ammo is still being developed, but the juice isnā€™t worth the squeeze at the moment.

In March of 2019 bump stocks will be regulated the same as machine guns.

M551 Sheridan per chance?

Amateurs I use an AK for an umbrella you got to be a fast shot not to get wet.