Anyone have experience building with cob?

I’m entranced with building a small oven for no-reason what-so-ever at my house. Anyone have experience with this? It looks pretty straightforward based on what I can find. This moment of inspiration might quickly dwindle but it’s worth a little chatter. I think I have a perfect corner for it.

If I decide to do this I will need some drinking partners for the beer bottles. Bonus!

This is a super cool idea that I know nothing about LOL

Me either but it might be a fun way to spend a weekend. I’m always trying to loose weight (despite my love for everything chocolate, nutella and or just plain fantastic) so having a bread/pizza oven available might not be the best choice. I don’t even really cook!

My brother-in-law has done this. I unfortunately was not available the weekend he put his together. At some point I plan to make one myself (much, much smaller than his - in fact, he says that is the one thing he would change for certain). If I remember correctly the inner portion of his is 4" of homemade clay bricks (mud) and the outer four inches of homemade brick insulation is clay + straw (cob). He used brick oven bricks for the floor of the oven and did not use any other insulation beneath (I think most instructions suggest wine bottles encased in clay/mud). I’ve gone so far as to check out a book from the library (can’t remember the book - I’ll see if I can figure it out later)
and came across this website a couple of years ago: www.pinkbird.org/w/How_to_build_a_pizza_oven. Tons of info on dimensioning with respect to heating and keeping a fire burning. Also, they have a small section on cob materials. And looking through some other notes that I had made, I see this website: www.sheffield-pottery.com. I’m guessing this was for a source of clay.

It was quite the ‘party’ putting that together. I’ll see if he has an open google folder with pics from that weekend.

The pictures I attached are ones that I took long after …

If you decide to make one, I can certainly help with the beer and wine bottles (should you choose to use them as insulation for the base - or even if you don’t).

I’ve always wanted to build a wood fired pizza oven. Trying to design one that could fit in a rolling cart.

Or there is an stacked version you can build up in an afternoon and then disassemble when done.

I’m always game for rolling around in mud and playing with fire. Count me in for labor

Lots of ovens, types, materials, etc. can be found on Instructuables.com. Find what you want, send me the links and I’ll PDF you the files (I have a subscription).

A real wood-fired pizza oven in the backyard would rock!

1 Like

I’m sure there would be plenty of Minions show up to help build!

I do have a few already empty bottles that I would be happy to donate for the cause (and help empty more as needed) but I’m afraid you might think that @thatguy and I have a drinking problem…

1 Like

This was the book that I had checked-out from the Dallas Public Library: www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-Earth-Oven/dp/096798467X

That’s wonderfully insane. I wouldn’t want anything near that big. Thank you guys for being supportive. Im going to see what info I can dig up and see if I can reuse some of the random bits around this house and we might have have a beer and mud party soon!

1 Like

I’ve built an oven in my back yard. Really not very hard, people have been doing it for thousands of years from nothing but mud. The main rule to remember is Thermal Mass, too much and your oven well never get hot, too little and you won’t retain enough heat to bake. Mine is a simple structure of fire brick and Concrete. You can go high tech with modern insulation and electronics, or clay made from the dirt in your back yard.

When you have a chance can you post a picture of yours?

Cool little oven. Looking at the build progression pics, the base of concrete pillings can be found at Home Depot.

OK here’s a few picture of the construction and first pizza…

bf6c4f844cc7f408a8.JPG" width=“666” height=“500”>

2 Likes

OMG carbs!!! I love it! Thank you for sharing.
Do you actually use it or is it more just a backyard feature?

If your neighbors like you at all you will use it all the time. After I built one it was a party every time I fired it up. I easily cooked a few hundred pizzas and loaves of bread in it over a couple years before I sold my house. Probably the most used and enjoyed feature I added to my home.

I’m game to help. I made this one from Craig’s list bricks. I have wanted to build an adobe or cob oven at my girlfriend’s house but have not found the time yet.

1 Like

That’s really cool!
You’re pulling me over to the hippie carb happy side of life!

1 Like

Uploading…

I build this every year I go to Pennsylvania to camp for two weeks.