Anyone have any plans for the 21st?

Especially with the counterfeit glasses sold on Amazon.

The absolute safest way (and IMO best) to view the eclipse (or the sun in general) is with a large carboard box, the longer the better. You cut a small square in one end. Tape some aluminium foil over the squarem and poke a tiny hole with the tip of a needleā€¦ This simple camera obscura provides a nice picture on the other end of the box, and you can see amazing detail. I do recommend putting white paper for the screen.

I had the fortune of watching a total eclipse totally by accident in Belgium in 1999. We had just gotten off the plane and were in the terminal bus when it started to get dark. Of course I looked up into the sun to see what was going on. good times.

1 Like

St Joe Missouri.
Reserved camping space at airport.
Had to jump on this one because Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll be around for the next one (still looking for the fountain of youth).
Bones

Iā€™m putting stock in some shade 12 welding glass Iā€™ve picked up. Multiple reputable sources have suggested this should be decently safe. But they were the last pieces of legit shade 12 glass I could find on Amazon.

Took out my certified, non-recalled cardboard glasses today and took a short look at the sun. All you see is a small orange disk. We all noted that it is smaller than expected. I only plan to have a few short peeks, enjoy the total darkness in Missouri and check NASA images online.

2 Likes

It is an interesting phenomena that both the sun and moon appear about the same size to usā€“about a half an arc second.

We will be at Rosecrans airport in Saint Joseph as well. Hopefully the weather cooperates. We have an alternative site running over to Saint Louis if the TAF/METAR doesnā€™t look good for KSTJ.

@captbones Iā€™ll post back into this thread when we get to the airfield.

1 Like

@Russell_Crow @captbones

We will be taking our chances at Saint jo today. We will be there around 10a.

Hope you get your shot!

1 Like