Anyone have any plans for the 21st?

What is everyone doing for the eclipse on the 21st? I am trying to decide what I want to do. Right now its between the Perot Museum party, and the Arboretum event. Are there any other parties that people are planning to attend?

I’m fighting the urge to jump in the car and head for the totality myself. 17 hours of driving for 2ish minutes of a lifetime memory.

3 Likes

Heading to North Platte, NE.

1 Like

Looks like we will have a total eclipse in Dallas in 2024.

4 Likes

The problem with either option is that it is dependent upon the weather for where you choose to view. I remember an eclipse event in my youth that was terribly disappointing because all I was able to see was clouds… The predicted weather was sunshine. Not sure the voodoo that is meteorology has improved all that much in thirty years…

6 Likes

A friend and I are gonna hot-shot to BFE, Tennessee in the wee hours of the morning, watch 2 minutes of the sun playing peek-a-boo, then red-eye back to Dallas, whereupon we will wait 7 years and experience a 4-minute totality in our respective backyards.

2 Likes

We are taking the RV to Lake of the Ozarks on the 20th. On Monday morning we will drive 50 or so miles to the center of the path. Any idea what traffic will be like out in the rural areas?

1 Like

I’m going to Chicago.

2 Likes

My heart stopped for second when I saw that.

2 Likes

Now I feel like a slacker for only looking at nearby events! :joy:

I’ll have to see what events are going on in the path of totality to make my decision now! To the internet, Jeeves! :stuck_out_tongue:

When I read about meteorology, I realized that by the time you got something along the lines of a Cray to calculate the weather with all the bits that make it happen, the weather would have arrived. So – voodoo is still what we’ve got.

2 Likes

Maybe we will have China’s weather laser by then.

We’re going somewhere north between Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, or Tennessee as the weather report allows. We’ll drive about half the 9 hour drive up to northern Oklahoma or somewhere, then drive the rest in time for the total eclipse, drive partway back and spend the night.

Yes, I know there’s another one in 2024 and the path of totality is going right over our house. This one’s within driving distance so I’m going just 'cause I can.

2 Likes

If you want to get an idea of the amoung in your area,
try using this link

This is almost exactly my plan as well. I have family in southeast Kansas I can stay with Sunday night, so the plan is to get up early Monday morning and drive to the most remote area I can find that looks like it will be cloudless.

On the off chance this winds up being western Nebraska instead of central Missouri, I’m taking Tuesday off.

2 Likes

I’m taking my 18" Newton up to St Joseph, MO We’re going to try a redux of Eddington’s 1919 Proof of Relativity using a cooled CCD shooting some magnitude 7 stars in the Sun’s corona. We’ll have to set-up the night before to get a good Polar alignment, and move away from clouds on the 21st only if necessary. With a little skill and a lot of luck, we’ll get the shot.

5 Likes

I’ll throw any extra luck I find your way for this; extra skill on my part is a no-go.
Would LOVE a share, for us vicarious vampires…

Technically true for ANY good photos.

3 Likes

For anyone still intending to view the eclipse but hasn’t done anything about it:

1 Like

I wonder how many cases of eye damage the 21st is going to bring…