Anyone have a scrap metal license?

Does anybody have, or know someone who has, a license to recycle scrap metal? One of my clients has a bunch of brass that he needs recycled and would be willing to sell it to someone who has a license for recycling scrap metal. Message me, and I can link you up with them.

I donā€™t, but assuming thatā€™s auto-correct for brass? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is his name Heisenberg?

1 Like

What form is the brass in?

As a reference- scrap metal prices are in the crapper. Brass is going for around $1.50 / lb. a lot of aluminum and steel is going for zero. They wonā€™t charge to pick it up but they arenā€™t paying much.

Itā€™s in the form of (unused) cremation urns

Sell 'em as novelty flower pots to people who have plants that die. Heck pet rocks sold.

I feel like thereā€™s a pun in involving daisies in there somewhereā€¦

1 Like

How many, how much do they weigh? If being sold for scrap Iā€™d seriously considering buying.

1 Like

I have sold scrap many times and never needed a ā€œlicenseā€ so Iā€™m not sure what your referring to?
Just south of Downtown off of Lamar, Gold Metal Recyclers will get you the best current price.
For brass call Claxton also.

I had one but itā€™s expired. Itā€™s called a Cash Transaction Card.

2 Likes

This was the first laymanā€™s explanation I bumbled across with Google:
https://www.hlhrmetals.com/texas-cash-card-law

1 Like

Today I Learned! Thanks DMS (technically everyone in this thread) for helping me to learn something today. I had always wondered whether anything was done to stem the losses from those who might try to ā€˜creatively sourceā€™ (steal) metals from construction sites. Wires and copper tubing are fairly valuable as scrap, and itā€™s been seen before that people will break into construction sites in order to strip them of these valuables. This is at least an inconvenience for those who might seek to earn a quick buck illegally!

1 Like

DMS project with the blacksmithing crew to make giant brass ingots. Iā€™d have a ton of fun doing that.

1 Like

That sort of bites that it has such a short expiration. I think Iā€™ve only sold scrap twice in the last 10 years, and apparently not recently at that.

I probably have around 200 pounds of heavy wire that was pulled out of a old data center during demolition and cleanup once the UPS was removed as we vacated the property and had to return it to move-in condition. Was hoping to sell it soon but wish the prices were better.

I also have a giant 25kva or 35kva line conditioner that I picked up from Fredā€™s warehouse. No idea on itā€™s status of being functional but it is in a storage unit that needs to go. Looking for someone who might be interested in it or it might end up in the scrap pile too. I do not have the ability to test as I do not have 3-phase power. It is right at the maximum weight my liftgate can pickup so moving it will not be fun.

Might want to read this, wire is specifically covered. If your company does renovation or new construction, they can probably sell it. But as an individual, may be an issue unless youā€™re licensed electrician.

MetalsQuickRefGuide.pdf (1.9 MB)

Garland Steel requires any individual selling scrap copper wire to either be pre-registered or have an Electricianā€™s license. I know an employee there and they routinely refuse the car trunk load of copper wire and pipe, plus they call the authorities since they have everything caught on security cameras. The Police Station is just a few blocks away and they respond pretty fast. So, seller beware!

Also, they refuse a lot of old steel pipe that came from oil wells. It sets off their radiation monitors located at their scale. Old pipe that was in the ground tends to become radio active after several years. You can buy this steel pipe real cheap at auction, just canā€™t sell in at a scrap yard.

1 Like

In Dallas anyone can sell, but they will only mail you a check, not pay cash if you donā€™t have the card.

1 Like

Best place to sell gold?
A place you can trust?
Do you recommend your recommendation that you just recommended?