Anyone else get screwed by Corel (again?)

I’m sure it is no coincidence that my CorelDraw X8 stopped working today and will not reinstall.
Why? 'cause they just came out with a new version. The same thing happened when I was running X5 just after they came out with X8. It just stopped working and would fail on a reinstall. Their ‘support’ is worthless. they said they could/would not help on older versions. All I could do was upgrade. BTW x8 stinks.

So now they have a new version and magically X8 stopped working and will not reinstall. Actually it works on a laptop that is NOT connected to the internet nor logged in to corel. My guess is they have changed something that x8 looks for when I boot it up so it will not run or they have pushed something down to my pc. This is sabotage. oh sure, they’ve opened up a ticket that will never get resolved and their answer will be to pay $200 to update. I hope more people are waking up to this problem. I’d like to see a class-action lawsuit against them for this sabotage.

Set up a Windows Firewall rule that blocks outbound internet calls from that software.

I did that for my XYZ printer software to keep it from downloading updated firmware automatically for my printer that was designed to keep you from using filament cartridge resetters.

4 Likes

thank you. great advise.

I haven’t had an issue with X8, but my laptop is frequently not connected to the internet.

the issue was a registry change (on thier server I assume). My registry had to be updated to read version 19 even though I’m running 18 (x8). It’s still sabotage in my book.

Hmm, do you mind PMing me the change you had to make, in case I need it in the near future?