Anyone doing knifemaking?

Does Mr. McDermont, also, create serrated knives?

Darrent, Iā€™ll see him tomorrow at my shop and ask.
I know he has the various diamond round files to sharpen serrated knives (he saw my war abused Benchmade automatic and offered to sharpen it for me). He brought it back better than new. Both the smooth and serrated surfaced were razor sharp, fully cleaned and oiled.
He enjoys teaching those that actually want to learn.

2 Likes

Tom - is a class for this still in consideration? I had hoped to come out and meet him but was unable.

1 Like

im down for a class. either way im trying, buying the steel and everything i need as we speak

Where are you planning to buy your steel?
I found this site which seems to have a good selection. They also do custom heat treating too.
http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php

i checked it out but its down in houston, ive only been looking for few days now, but im gonna try and look for somewhere around dallas just to save on shipping. but i do like the heat treating they offer. hopefully ill order something by the end of the weekend. maybe we can go in on an order together to save on shipping wherever we get it from

Interested here, was thinking of trying to do some cable damascus.

I am still interested as well. Almost any weeknight works well for me.

I submitted a class form for a class, ā€œBasic Knife Makingā€, taught by Dave McDearmont. It has not yet appeared on the calendar, but will be Thursday, October 6 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the lecture hall. The class will be a viewing of the video ā€œBasics of Knife Makingā€ by Dave. It was make in 1987, and Dave is very young!! Dave will be showing the video, and will annotate, expand, and answer questions. We plan to offer a second class about 30 days later based on the 1988 video ā€œAdvanced Knife Makingā€, with Dave presenting the material as before. I am converting both videos (actually DVDs made from the original video tape recordings) to MP4 format, and will put them on the jump server.

3 Likes

Regrettably, I will be in Boston on the 6th. Iā€™m glad to see that a class is scheduled though. Iā€™m hoping to get into a knife making class some time.

Any thoughts or work being done on the belt grinder discussed in the initial presentation?

@dr_cee iā€™ll be looking forward to that class! Will this be available for non-members also?

Alright! Iā€™m looking forward to the class! Thank you for setting it up!

Excellent. Iā€™m looking forward to it.

Iā€™m all for this class. Thanks for making it happen!

FYI - the Knife Making Class is on the calendar now:
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/798Pl

1 Like

Yeah old old thread, I went to look for the videos (on jump server & committee drive) & cant seem to find them.

@dr_cee, I donā€™t suppose you remember where you put them. Iā€™d like to watch them again.

Tim,

If you donā€™t find the videos, let me know and Iā€™ll ask Mr McDearmont (the knife maker in those videos) if he will give us another copy. He is a friend of mine.

1 Like