Anyone doing knifemaking?

In posting to the Aug Show and Tell, it made me wonder if anyone has done a knife making class?
This was a kit so it doesn’t count, but I’d be interested in a class if someone is willing. cheers!

I have a retired friend that is a knife maker and is willing to do knife making classes. His knives are incredible.

cool. I bet it would fill up fast. I know I need more hobbies!

2 Likes

I’ve actually been looking at doing that too. Past few days I have been looking at it. Lol. I don’t have enough hobbies lol.

I’m definitely in if your friend is willing to teach.

I’m in too though my mother always warned me about running with them but I took a leather class and I can make a scabbard.

Does he have a website?

I’d love to make a few kitchen knives. 8"-10" Damascus chef specifically.

3 Likes

Above is a small sample of what he does has done (the framed ones), etc.
(note: see the buffer in his workshop - he uses it to fully polish blades)

8 Likes

I’m sold. Looks like a true craftsman to me. Ain’t nuthin more beautiful than true craftsmanship,
I would love to learn from such an expert. Well, ok there are a few things more beautiful. :wink:

Gulp! Are you suggesting that we forge Damascus steel? Nothing like starting with a challenge. :smiley_cat:

1 Like

If it could be done a millenia ago, by primitives, we should be able to whip out a cnc forge to do it in a weekend.

Seriously, considering how cheap Damascus steel blades have become, the manufacture can’t be too tough…

Well I was thinking I would buy Damascus blanks then cut out the knife, shape, harden and sharpen.

I made this from a knife kit I bought at woodcraft. Really just added the knife scales and textured the steel for look.

4 Likes

For those interested - I will ask my friend about a time frame that works for him in knife classes etc

3 Likes

Thanks to the 12 folks that came to the purple classroom to meet Dave McDermont the knife maker for questions about knife making classes.

2 Likes

I’m glad he is willing to teach the craft or atleast the intros.

I spoke to him after the class and he is willing to go into more hands on help and work with folks that are trying to make knives at the space with the tools.
He hopes that the belt grinder with be something that gets aquire soon, so that the knife making can get off to a strong start.

1 Like

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting Mr. McDermont last night. In addition to being a great knifemaker he’s quite a story teller, too.
I am hopeful that we can acquire the appropriate belt grinder for the space, also. It would be a great addition to the metal shop.

Thanks for inviting him to the space. Yet another great reason to be a DMS member!

I am very interested in the knife making classes as well. I had hoped to be there Thursday night to meet Mr. McDermont but I could not attend. Stupid fall ragweed allergy attack…