Anyone able to make Cuff-Links?

Pardon if this is in the wrong place - is anyone able to make cuff links?

It’s not as hard as you think - cuff link blanks are readily available from lots of online sources. here are two examples. You can then make your own crown (for lack of a better term) to adhere to or inset into the blank link depending on the style and color selected. As for the actual workpiece, they can be cast, they can be CNC carved, they can be hand carved, or you can just find some nice stones to use. It’s up to your imagination. I’m sure some other creative arts and jewelry folks can add to this. cheers!

4 Likes

And you COULD make them but it’s a whole fun can of worms to learn. If so, you’ll be wanting to pick up classes in jewelry and small metals for metal fabrication or casting. Or the CNC etc mentioned above. But that is the slower road. Fun if you do it, but it’ll be a process.

But as mentioned above, if you want/need quicker, buy the metal finding and attach/glue your whatever to the top. What goes on top, you can control-freak many different options.

For buying findings, you need to decide if you want base-metal (think costume jewelry) or a finer metal like sterling silver. Might make a difference on your source.

Another decision point is whether you want to fill a shallow cup/cavity with something for the part/“button” that shows or if you want a flat surface to glue something to (pics above are good examples, so pay attention to which you need if buying)

On stones btw, we do have lapidary equipment and you can learn to cut the stones

Here’s a couple of finding sources (there are many more), depending on materials you want:

Base metal (ie imitation rhodium is like silver for costume jewelry):

Finer metal, sterling silver etc:

https://www.riogrande.com/searchresults#q=Cuff%20link&t=products&sort=relevancy&layout=card&numberOfResults=12

4 Likes

Thanks @kyrithia! I wanted a source for fine metals. I haven’t looked deep enough in Rio Grande’s catalog

1 Like

For some light reading, there is a copy of Rio Grande’s paper catalog in jewelry. IIRC it’s about two inches thick.

Rio isn’t the cheapest place to get better metal findings or stones/beads but they’ll usually have it. If buying much quantity, good to shop around. But if I’m not wanting to do a lot of searching, they’ll have it.

And don’t get me wrong, they’re not exorbitant, but more than what I need to pay for lots of something (metal beads or chain in my case) if I can use a better wholesale source

I mainly buy wire/metal and tools from them. Not so much for metal beads, stone beads/cabs, findings. In that case, it’s worth looking around unless I’m already ordering from them and just need a little bit of something

1 Like

Loooove the paper catalog. Soooo many pretty tools drool

Note, there is a different catalog for findings (they won’t be in the tools and metals catalog that is likely what JSM has). There’s also a separate catalog for display and packaging.

golem voice We haaatesss their website…

2 Likes

Thanks for that info. I’ll ring them and open an account and get the print catalogs.

1 Like

Recommend getting the tools/metals catalog and the findings (if that’s your interest). The display one obviously depends on your needs. But the tool/metal has the best goodies :heart:

2 Likes