Any way we can get one of these

Since someone I’m not sure who but someone is hellbent on re adjusting the jointer to where it’s almost unusable, even when I painstakingly readjust it every single time any way we can get something like this to be able to have a jointer you can actually joint boards with! And just to be clear our jointer isn’t the problem, when left alone it’s one of the best jointers out there, but not when it’s tables get their pitch messed with(tilted more in the rear than in the front) front being closest to you rear being closest to the power outlet

For reference the smaller jointers font have the pitch adjustments

Do we need some signage? Something telling folks that it’s already set and not to mess with it unless they know how and why they are doing it?

1 Like

No cause it’s not done ignorantly or without knowing what they’re doing, its being done very intently and with full awareness what they’re doing
Because very few people know it even has those adjustment and those that do know exactly what happened when you make adjustments to those, 95% of the people have no clue you can even make adjustments like that

So let me get this straight, someone, you don’t know who, is constantly adjusting the jointer and it bothers you? You do realize this is a community tool right?

2 Likes

If I’m following him… It’s like tilting the head of the Bridgeport and not tramming it back when you’re done.

2 Likes

Or even knowing how it is done.

1 Like

Instructional signage is ALWAYS a good thing. Frankly, I’m surprised there isn’t a sign for every tool or area in Woodshop. Lord knows there’s enough wall space (and yes, in the new location as well).

2 Likes

Chris - do you have a 48” strength edge??

Yea but why would it be considered a good thing to basically recalibrate the 3d printers x axis to be off .005”? Or make the hass of .002” or resurface the multi cams spoil board so it has a 1/8th slope on it? Same thing and for the comment about a 48” straight edge that’s not the tilt I’m talking about that’s easy I’m talking about a twist in the tables that’s the left side of the outfeed table is higher than the right (an adjustment very few people know can be made to our jointer and a lot harder to correct without a magnetic run out gauge setup where you could move the gauge along the table knowing it’s staying perfectly level from front to back of the table) and they do keep adjusting the outfeed table but that is something I realize is going to happen cause that’s just part of a community tool, the twist in the tables can literally only be because someone wants to make it not accurate, which they’ve accomplished cause I challenge someone to joint 3 boards for a table top and see the results
And honestly if it didn’t weight 100 plus pounds I’d offer to bring up my craftman 5” but I’m literally incapable of loading it alone so until I find assistance it’s staying where it is

Maybe woodshop should get a precision machinist level, & keep it put up.

It will tell you if its truly level, in .001” or so per foot.

I bought one and have it in my Jeep… just to set the planner and jointer up… I plan on going through rhe planner and joiner tonight or tomorrow…

3 Likes

Chris
there are a lot of points you brought up that I don’t understand how they correlate to do you have a 48” straight edge??

How do you know the out feed table has a twist in it?

The out feed table on the jointer has an adjustment that us only used to initial set up… according to the manual… are you the on leaving the inclinometer on the jointer? I keep finding them stuck to the jointer and I’m trying to figure out how why?

1 Like

Tim,
The one I bought it good to .003 across the 48”… it’s what I could afford and we are in the wood shop we don’t require that level of tolerance…

Yellowhammer 50 inch Anodized… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VYDFN13?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It’s should have an expletive laced rant… but That doesn’t move the conversation forward… :joy::joy:

Chris,
Why Would someone be changing pitch on a joiner.??? As far as I know the purpose of the joiner is to take rough sawn lumber and make the flat at right angles… what other purpose would you change the angle across the cutter?

Exactly my point. But you can change the height of the rear(closet to the dust piping) and the front(closet to you) and even though I go back and correct it(and they didn’t know about this until now I use a paint pen to discreetly mark the threads) I come back and low and behold someone’s moved the Adjustment threads and made it out of whack! and the adjustments have mulitple locking bolts so once it’s tight it stays so unless human intervention so like I said I don’t know who but they’re pretty damn persistent and now the jointer is basically unusable because you can’t joint boards with it and it becomes pointless to have to spend 15 mins adjusting a machine before using it everytime and for multiple machines which is why I suggested adding one without those adjustments cause I’m just one of the people who know why it’s not producing result there’s probably handfuls of people who just think it’s their failing they can’t get good joints who’ve been using it and getting crap results

Exactly when dd you last notice the outlaw adjustment? I ran three glue-up jobs yesterday that are now screwed up. I checked the fence with the 1-2-3 block, but didn’t mother-hen the wood after I cut it with my square. ! figured if the 1-2-3 block @.0005" lined up, I was spot on. I won’t violate my QA process again. Maybe it is time to split the film up between several people and nip this in the bud once and for all. @pjolone1

Honestly it’s probably been 3-4 weeks now that it’s been going on with the majority of the tools in the woodshop, same reason I refuse to use our 1500$ chop say because it’s been messed with and now won’t produce accurate results, I remember when we first got it you could literally cut accurate miter joints with it, now it along with the jointer are messed with routinely, and as far as when it was done, it’s known when exactly it was done, however my guess is even if there was a massive man hunt to find the culprit “nothing” would be found. Just as the time 2 expensive pieces of wood were taken in plain view of the camera angel with a 24hr time window and I was told there wasn’t any clear footage of who took it!
And I’m not saying I don’t believe you were able to get perfect glue joints I’m just saying not with the powermatic in the shop unless it was corrected and adjusted

This would just follow the current narrative of people can’t use the expensive tool correctly so we’ll stop providing them and instead have cheaper alternatives available or just remove them from use. So I feel a simpler easier to use jointer would be a awesome solution that fits perfectly with the trend in the woodshop

Chris,
How are you me making the adjustment without a streight edge? Or are just putting the fence back to 90° And moving the out feed table back top?