Any Volunteer Activity Needed?

I have been trying to figure out how to have a reason to be more engaged in Makerspace for a few reasons listed below.
I am a real novice at almost everything so I may need a little more assistance than most, but that’s what I hope to overcome. woodshop is one of my 1st loves. Are there ANY activities I can help the team with for up to 10 hours a week, up to 3 days a week? Who can I talk to about this? Anything about administration, record keeping, cleaning, organizing, publishing, sharpening, or anything else that someone may be willing to train me on?

1 - This is a dream environment for me to explore a variety of creative activities when I decide to retire.
2 - I lost my job so am also looking for an outlet to spend time on activities outside of the job search. (if I don’t find something by June, I will retire anyway)
3 - I have taken most of the ‘how to use’ classes in my areas of interest, but need more hands on exercises to test my knowledge and gain confidence using equipment.
4 - Some of my future contribution may be to find ways to make the space less intimidating for new members.

11 Likes

There are a few “advanced” cleaning tasks that should be done more often than we have volunteer time to do them that may help you advance your intimate knowledge of tools in the shop:

• cleaning table saw blades and CNC router bits with cleaning solution and soft (brass bristle) brush.
  • vacuuming out the insides of the jointer and table saws.

There are certainly more, but those come to mind as having a relatively low barrier to entry.

Edit: when I say cleaning solution, I mean the stuff meant for removing wood gunk not a generic cleaning solution. We should have some floating around the shop.

2 Likes

There absolutely is! I’ll be at the space tomorrow night, if you’d like to see what we’re doing, and where you can help. Just ask for Brian.

A lot of us didn’t know beans about woodworking when we started. It won’t be an impediment at all. And getting involved is perhaps the best and fastest way to learn wood. And classes, and the members.

3 Likes

Well, what are yall going to be doing?

1 Like

Hi M,

It sounds like you have found your home. You don’t have to do choirs here to fill your time, but all the help odds appreciated. Instead of looking for jobs I would suggest trying to meet some of the more active members in the areas you like. Helping with committee work is often a good way of doing that, do you are on the right track. But, be careful to watch the responsibilities you take on. Don’t burn out on us.

If you’re looking for project ideas, just come by and watch what is going on. I’m sure you will find many members working on interesting projects. Introduce yourself and ask about the project. Not all will be willing to chat, but I would a majority would. When you see a project you like, try to make your own. I bet if you came by Dms three nights I a week, you would find yourself waist deep in projects/inspiration.

I’m excited to see what you come up with.

2 Likes

awesome. those would be great activities. I’ll check with Brian tonight when I go in, along with any other ideas he has. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Great. I’ll take advantage of that and be there tonight. Let me know what time you think you’ll be there. We can also talk about the activities that Mat put out there for cleaning. Thanks.

It’s the least glamorous thing, and you won’t learn much of anything by doing it, but the space always needs cleaning and organizing. The machine shop has a bunch of small drawers that could use more organization and labeling for sure. I will however say that people DO notice when and who is around and helping out. We are all completely qualified to run a broom, yet so few of us do.

Another thing, that I stress on my tours (another volunteer opportunity) is that I can guarantee that you know something, about something that I’d like to know. It’s probably not in the woodshop, but a good way to get involved. Find something that you know about and teach a class on it!

Good ideas as well. I read the talk track about finding cleaning brushes or cleaning up after themselves. Sometimes having good organization spaces where you know where things should be help folks keep the space more orderly as well. Will keep my eye out for that.

4 Likes

Your help will be greatly appreciated. I think @Nick has the best suggestion: find areas you’re interested in, become active or involved in things you like … and magically things you can help with will appear. Don’t burn yourself out - do things for the projects or committees you’re really interested in. As you’re here longer you’ll see chances to contribute with the “scut” no fun or glamorous jobs.

I should be there by 7:00pm, most likely be either in the Woodshop tool room, or in the annex area.

Tapper doesn’t always wear his hat though. Look for short hair.

Starting this Sunday, there is a big volunteer project to build more personal storage cubbies. This would be a good opportunity to help out, meet folks, get your feet dusty in the woodshop …

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/more-personal-storage-is-coming-please-help/17386