Any use for hundreds of pounds of old LCD's, computer peripherals, cords?

I have access to an industrial waste stream where these things are all getting trashed.

Outside of copper scrap value, is there any beneficial use for them? The LCD’s are the old/ small rectangular type with stands… they’ve also been handled somewhat roughly. I could do power-up/ crack checks if that helps. The cords (common computer cords) and peripherals (mostly used mice and keyboards) are fine but tangled into giant wads.

I could give them out to any interested parties if they’re willing to drive to Euless. I can also deliver, but I’d prefer to be delivering a large quantity (20+ LCD’s, etc) and to have some help unloading.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

I’d be interested in the screens - can always use more stuff for video art.

I was thinking the same. I’ll pass on the message to other artists as well.
@james_hoggatt

Sounds perfect for some schools somewhere?

For the purposes of video art, would it be better for the monitors to be all the same? Or would a variety be better.

Oh, and with/ without the monitor stands? I can transport about 2x as many if the stands aren’t needed.

Hi Michael! I have an interest in the cords and cables. I am hopeful a lot of them are black. If they are not black I may still be able to use a bunch/a lot.

I am an artist working on an art installation. And part of my work is reusing ‘waste’ of different kinds.

Are any pictures available?
Of the cords/cables and other computer ‘waste’?
I may get ideas of how to utilize other stuff from the photos :slight_smile:

Thank you for offering this stuff to DMS folks!

Folks in the arcade scene like to get their hands on the 12 and 15’ long power cables. @Team_Vector has members who would be interested.

@artg_dms Are we good on power cords or do we need more?

ELab has plenty of pwr cords.

1 Like

I think it’s majority 6’, but if I start noticing 12’-15’ ones in significant quantities I’ll start a pile.

I don’t have any pics but it is almost completely black cords, just huge rats nests of various peripherals and computer cords. Some other assorted bits mixed in, like phone cords, laptop lock cables, etc. There’s tons of cords available- if you don’t mind accepting it sight unseen, how much would you be interested in?

generally, i would say the same. That makes it easier for connections, drivers, mounting… esp if they disassemble them and remount them.

Other projects though would like the disarray.

My guess is most times stands would not be needed.

I’ll send a few direct messages to artists in the morning.

Thank you again for making this available!

Hi Michael, I am still interested in cords/cables.
Have a few more questions:

• so its a pile of tangled cords; about how much does one rat’s nest pile weigh? I’m wondering about portability. I would need to be able to handle/lift the pile…get it to a work area etc

• does the pile look like it could be untangled? Or is it such a tight mess that untangling would be impossible?

• is the pile mainly cords? Or are there lots of mouse and keyboards in the mass?

Speaking as a person who can untie knots in fine chain, everything can be untangled. It’s just a matter of picking a point and starting. Plus, with the “value” of the intact item, a good pair of diagonal cutters could be helpful.

I am not sure about the cable weight, maybe 50 lbs? You could cut it into smaller chunks using wire cutters if needed. It can be untangled if you take the time but I’d just cut it up.

As far as contents it’s a total mixed bag, created by people moving/ upgrading in an office environment.

1 Like

Michael, would the aprox 50lb mass of cords/cables fit in a small 4dr SUV? Would it require a large SUV or truck bed to transport?

I need long/longer pieces of the cable to work with for this project. If you think to untangle, so much of it will have to be cut up that I will be left with a majority of smaller pieces…I’ll have to think about whether I am a user for this… Maybe a visit to a hardware store could give me resources for joining the small pieces securely together to get more length…

I so appreciate you making these items avail to DMS upcyclers! :slight_smile:

50 lbs is not that much. 1 box of printer paper weighs about 50 lbs. The cords and all might be a bit bigger than that, but it shouldn’t be much bigger.

Perhaps someone can make a deal with Logistics @Team_Logistics

Put this on one of the work tables for everyone to pick from.

After one month, that individual shall dumpster what is left.

1 Like

I think that would work well, outside of their utility as screens there’s lots of little salvageable elements from each (lights, acrylic sheet, circuit boards, etc) that people might want.

1 Like