Any update on drill press being fixed?

Just wondering if theres any updates on when the drill press may be fixed?? I have a handful of pens i need to get done and shipped to England

Thanks @Team_Woodshop

So sorry it keeps going down… The switch needs to be replaced. We do have a spare switch on hand, but this is the second time we have this issue and it is still under powermatic warranty. If you need to drill a bunch of pen blanks we do have alternative methods to drill straight into blanks at the space. I’d be happy to show you if you’d like

5 Likes

There is a small drill press in the metal shop that i used for the last class.

You can also use a lathe to drill.

1. Put jacobs chuck on the tail stock and drill bit in the jacobs chuck
  2. Chuck the blank in a chuck.
  3. Bring the drill bit up the blank.
  4. Turn on the lathe.
  5. Use the wheel on the tail stock to advance the it. Back off as needed to clear the debris.
  6. If you need to go deeper, stop the lathe. Advance the tail stock. advance the bit.
3 Likes

So is it being sent out or serviced by powermatic or just need someone to have the free time to replace the switch with the spare? I’m asking because if its the latter I can volunteer to replace it. Admittedly, I’m not qualified to use the press yet, but if I can get it back online for others to use I’d be happy to do so while I wait for the required class to open up. I’m sure that the repair is within my wheelhouse as I can’t think of a power tool in my shop I haven’t taken apart to repair or modify (including a drill press)… and more importantly successfully reassembled

1 Like

I did speak to Powermatic this week and they are sending out a tech asap to service under warranty. I will update as soon as I hear from them

1 Like